Menu

Couple questions re: Singapore Standards Edition

Another Lynn

We are currently using Singapore PM (US), finishing 4A and moving to 4B with workbooks and textbooks, but no HIG. I'm concerned that without the HIG we are not getting all that we should from it. But, I've also read that the Standard Edition (SE) HIGs are much better than the PM - US HIGs. (And SE would also cover concepts not included in PM - US). So, looking ahead to next year (or this summer) I'm considering switching to SE for 5A - IF the HIG is available by then.

So, to my questions: 1) Does anyone know when the 5A and 5B HIGs are scheduled to be released? (The Singapore website said early 2010 for the 4B HIG, but that's all I could find)

2) Do you use the tests for the SE edition?

Thanks!!

We are currently using Singapore PM (US), finishing 4A and moving to 4B with workbooks and textbooks, but no HIG. I'm concerned that without the HIG we are not getting all that we should from it. But, I've also read that the Standard Edition (SE) HIGs are much better than the PM - US HIGs. (And SE would also cover concepts not included in PM - US). So, looking ahead to next year (or this summer) I'm considering switching to SE for 5A - IF the HIG is available by then.

So, to my questions: 1) Does anyone know when the 5A and 5B HIGs are scheduled to be released? (The Singapore website said early 2010 for the 4B HIG, but that's all I could find)

2) Do you use the tests for the SE edition?

Thanks!!

Can't help with #1, but you could post on the Singapore forums. You should get an answer there.

#2) We're using SE 2. I don't use the tests. One of the big differences I noticed going from US editions for 1 to SE for 2 is that the SE have LOTS more review. At the end of every chapter, there's a review in the textbook and then a shorter review in the workbook.

I am not giving letter grades at this level (don't plan to until middle school), so I don't feel any need for extra assessment other than what I see ds do. I do have him do the "Placement Test" from the Singapore site as an official "test" when we finish a book, but that's about it.