Menu

How much is TOO much math?

mom2agang

My son is doing Saxon 7/6 with the Saxon teacher CDs and LOF fractions and I want to start the Key to series to make "sure" he understands it. He wants to go into science or math major and doesn't mind doing it all. (Weird Kid LOVES school.) I want him to have a strong foundation in math but I don't want to "burn" him out. So should I just try it and if I see burn out coming step back or just leave well enough alone? He is doing good now.

Right now you've got a good computation program (Saxon) and a good conceptual program (LoF). I can't see any reason to throw in a computation-heavy review if your ds doesn't seem to have any problems. If you want to add additional math - and as long as your ds is genuinely enjoying it and it doesn't crowd out other things you feel are important, I don't think there is such an animal as "too much math" :D - I'd add thinking-type word problems. Zaccaro's Challenge Math (or either of these other Zaccaro books), or any of the Art of Problem Solving problem books, or problems from MEP math (maybe pull from years 4-6) would be a great addition to any math program.

My son also loves math and is advancing quickly. My two recommendations are 1) if he is absorbing and learning the math easily, then move him along faster (he can probably get into higher math faster than most) and 2) find other ways of doing math that isn't just school work. Math Blaster is a fun computer game my son enjoys. We also have a game called Numbers League by Bent Castle Workshops. It's a math superheroes game that involves quick computation.

I use a variety of maths books, but not all every day. My 2010 plan for my almost 12yo ds looks like this for maths:

M---facts practice + MUS (dvd, A, D) + 1 page NZ maths

T---facts practice + MUS (B, E) + 1 pg. NZ maths

W---facts practice + MUS (C, F) + 1 page NZ maths

TH---facts practice + MUS (test) + 1 chapter or bridge LoF

F---facts practice + TTC: Basic Math (1 chapter) or MUS (unit test) + 1 chapter or bridge LoF

Facts practice = do 1-2 problems that I write up in a maths notebook, usually 1 long multiplication + 1 long division problem.

MUS---If page A = 100%, I cross out pages B & C. I highlight the problems that need doing on pages E & F based on what was wrong on page D.

All together maths takes ds#2 about an hour to complete. At this rate we usually finish more than a book in each maths curriculum as we school 40 weeks / year. I don't try to corelate topics between the different books, but instead see it as review from a different angle.

JMHO,