Menu

I'm fed up with the wood floor situation

We recently had wood floors installed in the entire house. It was supposed to be a 2 week job. They started October 19, and most of the job was done within 3 weeks, but it took an additional 2 weeks to get the stairway (almost) finished. We knew from the beginning that the bottom step was going to be a hassle because of the way it was originally constructed, but he seemed to have a plan.

It has now been 2 1/2 months and we still don't have a bottom step. Two weeks ago, after numerous no-shows and lame excuses, he made a quick appearance and said he'd be back 2 days later for the final installation. I wasn't here when he came back, but he left me a note that said as he was carrying the step in, he dropped it and would have to rebuild it as it was severely damaged. He was supposed to show up on Monday with the rebuilt step, but never showed and we haven't heard from him again.

This has been going on for weeks, and I'm getting fed up. I've called him at least 10 times.

This is a well respected business in town. He did our other house and did a beautiful job. The work they've done so far has been excellent. He just can't seem to get this last little bit done. I think since it dragged out so long they've got involved in their other jobs and he just put us on the back burner. They've been paid for the bulk of the job but haven't been paid for the stairway yet.

Unfortunately, he's my neighbor, and our kids go to school together. How do I light a fire under this guy's butt to get the job done without it turning ugly? I suggested to my dh that we tell him we're going to have someone else finish the job if he doesn't get it done soon, but dh really doesn't want to get anyone else involved at this point. I don't know what else to do. He's really a nice guy, but this is getting ridiculous.

Has he been paid in full?

Never pay for a job in full until it's complete to your satisfaction.

I'd be tempted to tell him I was going to take out an ad in the newspaper letting people know how disappointed I was. :glare: Okay, it probably wouldn't be a good idea, but tempting, yes?

I think he is trading on your friendship. Up the pressure. It's time he finished this project.

I'm so sorry. I hate stuff like that. We had a roofer who was such a nice guy, had done great work for my in-laws, & then there was this tiny little leak, the first rain after our new roof....

Oh my gosh, that was a nightmare. It doesn't sound like you're at all at that point, but we ended up having to report him to the BBB. He wouldn't even respond to them (by the deadline), & when he finally did, he *completely* LIED to them about the whole job. Over a tiny, tiny leak.

Still, though. We were trying to sell our house, & you can't exactly have water falling on people's heads. Ugh, & the work of patching the ceiling every time it was "fixed." Really, I should probably have insisted that his guys start doing it, but I'm a BIG CHICKEN. And I do better sheetrock work than anybody I've met. ;)

*Esp* since you're neighbors, I hope it gets worked out quickly. I think I might start baking cookies for him. Taking them over obnoxiously often. :D Maybe 2-3 cookies at a time every hour or so for a couple of days would get his attention?

Has he been paid in full?

Never pay for a job in full until it's complete to your satisfaction.

I'd be tempted to tell him I was going to take out an ad in the newspaper letting people know how disappointed I was. :glare: Okay, it probably wouldn't be a good idea, but tempting, yes?

I think he is trading on your friendship. Up the pressure. It's time he finished this project.

We paid for everything that was completed- the upstairs and downstairs. We haven't paid for the stairway, since it isn't finished, but now I wish we wouldn't have paid any of it since the entire job wasn't done. At the time it seemed reasonable to pay for the work that had been completed because there was only a tiny bit left.

Live and learn.

He's got to know that I'll tell people about our experience with them. This isn't that big of a town and reputation matters a lot. I don't know what the heck he's thinking.

I'm so sorry. I hate stuff like that. We had a roofer who was such a nice guy, had done great work for my in-laws, & then there was this tiny little leak, the first rain after our new roof....

Oh my gosh, that was a nightmare. It doesn't sound like you're at all at that point, but we ended up having to report him to the BBB. He wouldn't even respond to them (by the deadline), & when he finally did, he *completely* LIED to them about the whole job. Over a tiny, tiny leak.

Still, though. We were trying to sell our house, & you can't exactly have water falling on people's heads. Ugh, & the work of patching the ceiling every time it was "fixed." Really, I should probably have insisted that his guys start doing it, but I'm a BIG CHICKEN. And I do better sheetrock work than anybody I've met. ;)

*Esp* since you're neighbors, I hope it gets worked out quickly. I think I might start baking cookies for him. Taking them over obnoxiously often. :D Maybe 2-3 cookies at a time every hour or so for a couple of days would get his attention?

Wow, that stinks. I'm afraid of this situation ending up like that. Which wouldn't be so bad except that we are in the same social circle. They are a well-known, well-liked family. If we did anything about it, it would just make us look bad.

We paid for everything that was completed- the upstairs and downstairs. We haven't paid for the stairway, since it isn't finished, but now I wish we wouldn't have paid any of it since the entire job wasn't done. At the time it seemed reasonable to pay for the work that had been completed because there was only a tiny bit left.

Live and learn.

He's got to know that I'll tell people about our experience with them. This isn't that big of a town and reputation matters a lot. I don't know what the heck he's thinking.

This happened to us w/ an electric security gate, the guy said two wks and it took three mos. I finally reported him to BBB. Things got done a lil bit quicker. Plus, I found out he was not even licensed. Live and learn.

Wow, that stinks. I'm afraid of this situation ending up like that. Which wouldn't be so bad except that we are in the same social circle. They are a well-known, well-liked family. If we did anything about it, it would just make us look bad.

I found out later that our guy's dc were being hs'd, & his wife was Somebody Important in the hs community a town over fr us. So while we didn't run in the same circles (mainly bcs dh & I don't really run in circles, lol), we knew people who knew the same people. If that makes sense. And then, thank goodness, we moved. And now we're towns apart, hopefully never to bump into ea other again.

Live and learn.

That sounds perfectly logical to me...the payment that is.

I wonder what would happen if you arranged a meeting and CRIED out all your frustrations?

If it isn't already taken care of by now you might become a 'perpetual pleasant pest'. The idea of giving a few cookies everyday allows you to remind him daily you are still waiting without saying a word. Making it a point to show up when you know he is home. Let his wife nag him for you.

Live and learn.

Can you take the money you didn't pay him and pay someone else to finish it? Then give him the difference between what you owe him and what you had to pay someone else. If it takes all of it, then so be it.