Menu

gluten free recipe miracle?

Ok, there's a lot of smart ladies on this board. Does anyone have a recipe that fits the following criteria:

Dessert item

No wheat, corn or tree nuts

Low or no sugar

We have a party to go to tomorrow and we are trying to decide between cupcakes, with a bunch of sugar, or a chocolate torte with no sugar but with caffeine (from the cocoa). We want our daughter to go to sleep easily by 9:30 pm. Sugar and caffeine are bad for her, but I said we'd bring a dessert so that she will have something to keep her away from the cookie table (with a bunch of stuff she's allergic to).

Anyone have any ideas?

My friend used to make such good gluten-free goodies I sometimes thought I should go gluten-free myself. :D

After sampling many of her treats, part of the secret seemed to be to make sure to use a few eggs and at least a cup of some kind of fruit or vegetable (mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, shredded zucchini or carrots - you get the idea) along with the gluten-free flours you use. This kept the resulting baked good moist and not brick-like. Large amounts of added sugar or caffeine didn't seem to be needed. :)

I think most of her recipes came from one of the Gluten-Free Gourmet cookbooks. I just checked and if I use the "surprise me" feature on the "look inside" on Amazon, you can see some of the recipes.

Edited by matroyshka

sounds good but i'm kind of a bad cook so i need a recipe. my daughter has very bad luck- ton of allergies and a mom who is a disaster in the kitchen. poor thing thinks blueberries and plain yogurt is a treat.

*I* think blueberries and plain yogurt is a treat :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-sugar-apple-pie/detail.aspx

You can use tapioca instead of corn starch. Instead of heating the juice and tapioca in the saucepan, I'd just combine it and mix it in with the apples, and bake.

Gluten-free ginger snaps (purchased or homemade) run through a food processor and mixed with a little butter or margarine make a great "graham cracker" crust. I place a spoonful in the bottom of muffin cups, top with fresh fruit salad, and sprinkle with coconut and more ginger crumbs. My kiddos love them!

coconut flour cupcakes. http://www.elanaspantry.com/vanilla-cupcakes-with-chocolate-frosting/

Uses agave instead of sugar. We have a long list of allergies. For icing, I use whole fat coconut milk left in the fridge overnight to get thick, then beat it like whipped cream.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much! I was going to make the Chocolate Torte from her website, but then I started getting worried that even though it's agave instead of sugar it would still keep her up all night b/c of the caffeine. I can make these with her cream cheese frosting recipe instead and there's no sugar or caffeine! Thanks so much.

I kept looking through her recipes yesterday, but every one I opened had almond flour except the chocolate tart (which is EXCELLENT, by the way, we had it for Thanksgiving). I guess I must have missed that one!

I wish she was not as excited about almond flour because her recipes are so wonderful!