Menu

Gingerbread Houses??

HI - my children want to make gingerbread houses for either Christmas or New Year - we've done them before, I just need to remember 'how'.. Anyone know of a web-site that could refresh my memory?

We'd be making it all from scratch, including the gingerbread. I remember last time, we could not get the darn thing to stick together - must be a trick to making the icing - anyone know?

Thanks!

Linda.

With a lot of stress with Dh's overtime and other outside influences, this year I caved and bought the kit. They were 70% off at Joanne Fabrics already! It came out to about $5. I figured with all the ingredients and candy I'd have to buy to make one from scratch it was a whole lot cheaper and easier...and it's no fail for my young ones!

Just a thought! :)

But if you're looking to do the whole thing from scratch, your best bet is probably finding step by step directions online.

I've also seen people doing it with graham crackers if you want miniature versions.

We have one in progress right now. I am using the recipes and instructions from this book:

How to Build a Gingerbread House: A Step-by-Step Guide to Sweet Results

I don't think I could have done it without all the little tips and tricks in that book. Maybe your library has it?

In any case, this is the recipe for icing:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Royal-Icing

If you can't find meringue powder, eliminate the water and use 3 fresh egg whites from large eggs per lb of confectioners sugar. It dries out fast (and hard!), so keep a wet paper towel over the bowl (not touching the icing) and then cover that with plastic. It won't fall apart with this stuff. If your icing has any oils in it whatsoever, it'll moisten the house and the thing will crumble.

Also for the house you want a recipe that will bake and dry hard. No eggs or other leavening agents are used. A tasty recipe is not what you're after. This is very close to the one in the book I have:

http://www.celebrating-christmas.com/recipes/gingerbreadrecipe.shtml

I'd leave out the baking soda. (My recipe didn't use it and that's the only difference I see.) If it's fluffy and soft it will be harder to construct. After baking my 1/4 inch thick pieces for 20 minutes at 325 degrees, I pulled it out, recut the parts while it was still hot (wait about 2 minutes) and returned to the oven for 20 minutes more at 300 degrees. Lower to 275 if browning tooo fast and rotate the sheets from time to time. My house parts were like plywood.

Have fun!