Menu

Video Text... self taught?

christine in al

On the samples I have seen, A question is asked, then ( pause) " YES, that's right." ( well, what if the answer wasn't right? I find it a bit " Dora the Explorerish in only that regard.

That style would make me insane, and maybe bug my oldest,, but maybe not. does your child find that okay?

The rest looks terrific. I love that computer graphics can be used so well.

Thanks,

~Christine in al

but he is not really one to get caught up in little things like that. That's not to say it wouldn't bug me :001_smile:- but I've only watched bits and pieces.

I just asked my 12 yo what he thought of the teacher/program - "It's pretty good" and the teacher "is irrelevant; he just teaches" and "I'm getting good grades so ... (chuckle)." Then he walked away so that's all I could get from him. He's not super emotional as you might have guessed!

NO. There are notes, comments, and parent alerts all over the place in the materials that come with your package emphasizing the need for mastery. There are worksheets and quizzes, with specific instructions on how to use them *properly* to insure mastery. Maybe if you're okay with your kid bypassing you to call them up with questions when he hits a stumbling block, then you could consider it "independent". And for the most part, they *can* work independently... until they hit a wall. And if you aren't checking up on them either daily or weekly, you may not realize that they've "missed" something until they take a unit test or somewhere else down the road.

At first we liked the slow progression (for mastery), but it reaallllyyyyy drags out.

On the samples I have seen, A question is asked, then ( pause) " YES, that's right." ( well, what if the answer wasn't right? I find it a bit " Dora the Explorerish in only that regard.

That style would make me insane, and maybe bug my oldest,, but maybe not. does your child find that okay?

My dd hated this. She much preferred the interactive teaching style of Mrs. Howe on Abeka's 7th grade math DVD, as well as the other "real" students being there. We've just switched her to MUS (after doing one module with VT), and she likes Mr. Demme for the same reason... much more interactive... not so "Dora the Explorerish". :glare: She doesn't even know the name of the teacher on VT, as he turned out to be a different guy than what you see in the Intro DVD, with no introduction. So the whole thing was just weird. It was almost as if the VT teacher was reading a teleprompter or something.

Even though Abeka and MUS are very different from one another, my dd prefers either one of them over VT. :tongue_smilie: