Menu

Why do I always feel like I'm looking for a spine? Need World history...

Heather in VA

Here's what I want. I suspect I'm dreaming. I want a historical narrative, non-encyclopedia, Christian, well-written, world history survey that goes from the beginning until at least the Korean and Vietnam wars that my middle school daughter could read a couple of times a week over the next 18 months or so and do written narrations.

So far the closest I've found is Streams of Civilization, based only on it's description, but I can't figure out if that's a narrative or if it's any good. Anybody ever see this one?

Other than that I'm thinking I might have to ask Santa :lol:

Heather

Here's what I want. I suspect I'm dreaming. I want a historical narrative, non-encyclopedia, Christian, well-written, world history survey that goes from the beginning until at least the Korean and Vietnam wars that my middle school daughter could read a couple of times a week over the next 18 months or so and do written narrations.

So far the closest I've found is Streams of Civilization, based only on it's description, but I can't figure out if that's a narrative or if it's any good. Anybody ever see this one?

Heather

I know Notgrass World History is a high school course, but if you just read the text and don't expect high school work in the written assignments I think it would work. I used Streams with my two oldest before I learned about Notgrass, but I much prefer Notgrass which I used with Dd17 and plan to use with my two youngest when they get there. I bought MOH, but ended up not using it because it was a little too babyish for my tastes. I don't like textbooks that ask the students questions during the narrative in an effort to seem chatty, casual and interesting (no offense meant to those who like it - it just didn't suit my tastes). I prefer a much more straightforward, approach. I sold it so I can't quote any of it now - I just remember thinking my kids would be insulted by the way it was written. Imo, it suits lower grades much better.

I know Notgrass World History is a high school course, but if you just read the text and don't expect high school work in the written assignments I think it would work. I used Streams with my two oldest before I learned about Notgrass, but I much prefer Notgrass which I used with Dd17 and plan to use with my two youngest when they get there. I bought MOH, but ended up not using it because it was a little too babyish for my tastes. I don't like textbooks that ask the students questions during the narrative in an effort to seem chatty, casual and interesting (no offense meant to those who like it - it just didn't suit my tastes). I prefer a much more straightforward, approach. I sold it so I can't quote any of it now - I just remember thinking my kids would be insulted by the way it was written. Imo, it suits lower grades much better.

Notgrass - there's an idea. I've looked through MOH but I do agree that the first book seems chatty and I dont' think my dd would like that but also it's really a curriculum. I'm looking for just a book. We have a curriculum for those details and memory work. I just want a narrative to do a survey over the next 18 months or so along side our detailed work to refresh her memory and help solidify the flow of history before hitting Omnibus in the 7th grade. We wouldn't be adding anything to it - just read and write a narration. I'll have to look at the Notgrass book. It could work for that.

Thanks

Heather

I can think of anything that meets all of your criteria. These meet several of them though.

1.Lord's Beacon Lights of History

I have this set, of course it only goes to the late 19th c. when the author wrote it. It is excellent!

Here is a review:

http://www.valerieslivingbooks.info/lords.htm

2. A Picturesque Tale of Progress

I have this set also. It is visually beautiful. It is a good traditional worldview, but not necessarily Christian.

http://www.valerieslivingbooks.info/ptp.htm

for a more modern book:

3. A Short History of the World, John Roberts

http://www.amazon.com/New-History-World-J-Roberts/dp/0195219279/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Any of these would at least be well written and engaging! HTH!

• 3 weeks later...

Heather

You need either The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Van Loon or A Little History of the World by E.H. Gombrich. Neither are overtly Christian, but both are respectful of it. If you're a creationist you may want to skip the first few chapter of both.