Menu

Which Settlers of Catan expansion set is best?

We like Cities and Knights (we have both) - it has way more variety. In Seafarers you build the board as the game progresses - but you don't know how it will turn out, and we've NEVER liked the resulting finished board. Cities and Knights is way more fun - sometimes my head hurts at all the things you can do on a turn. :)

Not what you've mentioned, but assuming you have the 5-6 Player Expansion, the best bang for the buck is the deck of Event Cards (can also be used with Cities and Knights).

We like Cities and Knights (we have both) - it has way more variety. In Seafarers you build the board as the game progresses - but you don't know how it will turn out, and we've NEVER liked the resulting finished board. Cities and Knights is way more fun - sometimes my head hurts at all the things you can do on a turn. :)

:iagree:

Event cards just replace the dice right?
Yes, but while the "rolls" in the cards are evenly distributed, there are no more chance streaks of (for example) sevens to make everyone groan, like you get with the dice. The cards tend to make the game more enjoyable, especially for newbies. We host a game day once a month, and I can't remember the last time players chose the dice over the cards.

Neat. I guess I will have to pick up a pack to give people the option. I love dice though, I think the chance of runs of a certain number make the game more interesting :)

Have you seen the collector's edition settlers? Absolutely gorgeous! But $400 :( One day.....One day lol

http://www.boardgames.ca/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17083

We have the 3rd edition of S of C, is it compatible with the new edition expansion packs? My son has had this for over a year and we just opened it last week. I would hate to have to buy the original game again to use the expansions. I didn't know they had upgraded until I looked at the exp. packs last nigh. Uggh:glare: