Menu

Chalkdust or Saxon Math???

I'm looking at while we'll use after CLE Math: Chalkdust or Saxon w/Saxon Teacher?

We want to start Algebra in 8th through Calculus in 12th.

I like CLE straightforward and spiral approach. I like how we just do the complete lesson every day within an hour. I had thought we would move to Chalkdust. Now, I'm concerned that Chalkdust has long videos and scheduling difficulties. I don't do well just telling my children to do problems for 1 hour a day. I need a clear cut schedule. And we like the spiral for retention. Which would you choose?

We are looking for future science/health field majors, so math is very important. Thanks for your help!

I'm looking at while we'll use after CLE Math: Chalkdust or Saxon w/Saxon Teacher?

I like CLE straightforward and spiral approach. I like how we just do the complete lesson every day within an hour. I had thought we would move to Chalkdust. Now, I'm concerned that Chalkdust has long videos and scheduling difficulties. I don't do well just telling my children to do problems for 1 hour a day. I need a clear cut schedule. And we like the spiral for retention. Which would you choose?

We are looking for future science/health field majors, so math is very important. Thanks for your help!

If you like the straightforward approach Saxon is the way to go. CD bombed here.

Read these: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1346641&page=2

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141588&highlight=art+reed

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138434&highlight=art+reed

and easy scheduling, and it works for a lot of kids.

If your children are very intuitive with math, then almost any program would work, including Saxon. If they can extrapolate from learning little pieces to the larger concept, Saxon would work well.

However, if your children need to see the big picture to "get" a concept, then Saxon is a bad match for them. Also, if they tend to be the type that do their math by memorizing procedures, then Saxon would also be a bad match because Saxon allows the student to score well by memorizing procedures without necessarily understanding the underlying concepts. (not saying here that every student who scores well just memorizes procedures, but in my experience, it is possible with Saxon to think your student is progressing well but then find out when they are faced with non-Saxon problems that they don't know what they are doing).

I stuck with Saxon for far too long with a student such as I've described above. Math was a chore for him, and despite spending lots of time with Saxon, he still has trouble with basic algebra, though he is able to understand higher math concepts pretty well that he learned using other curricula.

Be aware, though, that whichever program you choose, the higher maths take more time per day to do thoroughly. It doesn't matter which curriculum you use. We've found that high school math requires at least 1.5 - 2 hours per day.

Best wishes,

Brenda

• 8 months later...

Brenda, you said you stuck with Saxon far too long with your learner who it was painstaking for...what did you switch to after that? We just finished Saxon Math 87 and it took my son 2 hours every day to complete and check a lesson, sometimes more. It was harrowing. He's super smart, but needs very clear instruction. I'm considering Chalkdust instead. What do you think? Thank you!

I went throught the same thing with my son. We switched from Saxon to Chalkdust for Agebra 1. After getting more than half way through the book, he still did not have a good grasp of the basics of algebra. Seems that was all toward the back of the text, which we never made it to. Factoring and other basics had not yet been introduced, but some more complicated concepts had. He's back doing Saxon Alg 1, and now seems to be learning the building blocks of Algebra.

Grace

Brenda, you said you stuck with Saxon far too long with your learner who it was painstaking for...what did you switch to after that? We just finished Saxon Math 87 and it took my son 2 hours every day to complete and check a lesson, sometimes more. It was harrowing. He's super smart, but needs very clear instruction. I'm considering Chalkdust instead. What do you think? Thank you!

We switched to Chalkdust, but my son was half way through Advanced Math at that point, so he went into Chalkdust's PreCalc. He really did much better with Chalkdust. He much preferred the DVD instruction to the Saxon Dive CD, and PreCalc teaches the use of the graphing calculator, and that helped him understand functions much better.

One thing that's a bit difficult with Chalkdust is that they give general recommendations on which problems the student should do, like "every 3rd problem or every 4th problem", so you have to make some judgements while assigning the work. We never needed to contact the instructor, but I've heard that he's very responsive.

In my experience, upper maths usually take at least 1 1/2 hours per day, even for a student who is pretty good with math. There is just a lot to cover, and the problems get more complicated.

I would base the decision to switch on whether or not your student is understanding the math and can apply it to "non-Saxon-like" problems, not just on how long the assignments are taking.

HTH,

Brenda