Menu

Can you take one more MCT question????

Capt_Uhura

I'm seriously considering MCT for my 4th grader and 1st grader. Both are good with Language arts. 1st grader has been doing FLL. My 4th grader did GWG4th grade last year and is finishing WWE2 next week. He is very intuitive for language arts. I'm wondering what level should I do? Could I do Grammar Island for both? I'm wondering if that will be too slow for my 4th grader. Or could I do Town w/ both and just review and go slowly for my 1st grader? Both learn quickly and the 4th grader abhors worksheets and repetition.

I will probably call MCT tomorrow but I thought someone here might have a recommendation.

thanks,

Capt_Uhura

Based on your description of your dc's prior grammar exposure and their grades, I'd recommend Island for your 1st grader, Town for your 4th grader. If you are going to buy both levels, you might want to quickly run through Island with your 4th grader as well. Those books although easier, are fun and educational, and they don't take that long to cover.

But don't take my words, definitely call them.

If your first grader has already done some Greek/Latin roots work, then Building Language is probably just review. It is my least favorite MCT book.

There is a huge jump in content from Building Language to Caesar's English I. I think it will be challenging for your 4th grader (a good challenge), but probably too hard for a 1st grader. My young 5th grader who is good with language is almost done with caesar's English I, it's been a very solid yet fun program for him.

Yes, Caesar's English is challenging for my advanced fifth grader (I would call him a sixth grader in Language Arts), not because of the words themselves that are introduced, but because of the excerpts that the author includes.

For example, today we read a quote by the Roman emperor Trajan. "It is better that the guilty should remain unpunished than that the innocent should be condemned." This led to a rather LONG rabbit trail about the American justice system (and the girl who was just convicted in Italy -- who knows whether she did it or not, but there was no DNA evidence connecting her to the crime). My son claims that he read it wrong. He said that he missed the word "than." He says he read it as "and." If that is true, then perhaps it was not over his head logic-wise. But if he was just embarrassed at not understanding it at first, it might have been a bit abstract for a 10-year-old fifth grader. Why would we want the guilty to not be punished, after all? It is a rather advanced concept for a 10-year-old. I believe he is on the older side of the suggested audience for this book.

Hope that helps a little.

Julie