Menu

Help with Spelling Analysis

angelmorris

I just started CW with my 7th grader and it asks him to analyze the spelling words in the Spelling road to reading way....well I don't own that curriculum:glare: Since when does one curriculum just assume you know how to do something from a completely unrelated one :confused:

Anyhow can someone explain this concept to me or am I going to have to buy another program to use the VERY expensive writing program I just shelled out for:001_rolleyes:

Sorry for being slightly ranty but I wasn't pleased with this discovery to say the least.

Well, CW is meant to be applied theory - they assume you are doing the initial learning theory bit in outside courses. In my Aesop book they say you will need outside courses in grammar, logic, and rhetoric. Nothing about WRTR, though. Anyway, if your student spells well or you like whatever program you are using, you can certainly skip the spelling analysis - I've seen plenty of people on the board mention that they skip it. It's not a make or break thing for CW.

But if you want to do it, you've a few options. One, you can buy a cheap older edition of WRTR - I picked up a 3rd for ~$4ppd on Amazon. Or you can get the basic info online (phonograms and rules) and apply it yourself. The basic idea is this: You've got 45 distinct sounds in the English language, and 70 basic phonograms - ways to represent those sounds in print; there are actually upwards of 160 different phonograms, but most of those are very rare, and are easier learned as you encounter them. Some phonograms only have one sound associated with them, while others have two, three, or, even more, in a few cases. WRTR organizes the sounds so that you learn them in the order of frequency they are used. The 29 spelling rules give you guidelines as to which phonogram to use to spell a given sound in a given word.

So when you are analyzing words, you break each word down by syllable, look to see which phonogram was used to spell each sound, and see which rules, if any, apply. It's a way to systematize English spelling - to give you reliable tools to pronounce unfamiliar words in print and to spell words just from their sounds.

HTH

I just started CW with my 7th grader and it asks him to analyze the spelling words in the Spelling road to reading way....well I don't own that curriculum:glare: Since when does one curriculum just assume you know how to do something from a completely unrelated one :confused:

Anyhow can someone explain this concept to me or am I going to have to buy another program to use the VERY expensive writing program I just shelled out for:001_rolleyes:

Sorry for being slightly ranty but I wasn't pleased with this discovery to say the least.

It really isn't difficult, and you can skip it.

Basically any time you have a two or more letter phonogram (set of letters making one sound) you under line them, so in the word the you would underline the th. If there is more than one syllable you leave a space to show syllable divisions. If the letter can say more than one sound and it is nor saying its first sound (the most common) then you underline it and write a number representing which sound it is. Then you also list any rules that apply. With silent e's you double underline the e and if it is there to make a vowel say its name you draw an arch from the e to the vowel above the word.

With a word like all you would underline the a and put a 3 over it because it is the 3rd sound of a, then you would note the doubling rule for the l's.

It isn't rocket science, you probably could check out WRTR at your library. It has been around for a long time, and an older version wouldn't matter for this work.

Heather

It really isn't difficult, and you can skip it.

Basically any time you have a two or more letter phonogram (set of letters making one sound) you under line them, so in the word the you would underline the th. If there is more than one syllable you leave a space to show syllable divisions. If the letter can say more than one sound and it is nor saying its first sound (the most common) then you underline it and write a number representing which sound it is. Then you also list any rules that apply. With silent e's you double underline the e and if it is there to make a vowel say its name you draw an arch from the e to the vowel above the word.

With a word like all you would underline the a and put a 3 over it because it is the 3rd sound of a, then you would note the doubling rule for the l's.

It isn't rocket science, you probably could check out WRTR at your library. It has been around for a long time, and an older version wouldn't matter for this work.

Heather

Thank you so much. You are truly a wealth of knowledge :grouphug: I appreciate you always being willing to take the time to answer questions!!