Menu

Another Artisan Bread question

I can't find a forum online for this book, so hopefully you experts don't mind helping me out :)

I love the look of artisan loaves, but in reality, my family requires sandwhich - able loaves. If you use any of these recipes as sandwhich bread which do you use?

I see that there are a couple of loaf pan shaped breads in the book. But they say to use a non-stick pan only. I avoid teflon and similar based products. I use stoneware bread pans. Has anyone made one of the recipes in this book and used a stoneware pan? I don't want to ruin my pan.

I think you could bake the artisan bread in a stone pan - and I would not think it could hurt the pan - that's what it is made for.

I bake this type of bread a lot (on a pizza stone). If you use one of the standard recipes and make rolls instead of a big loaf, they are handy for sandwiches. It's a little easier than slicing a round loaf, but you *could* certainly do that. Try toasting sliced bread for sandwiches.

Well, I posted before an alternative recipe to AB5MD, and it's one we use for sandwiches. I bake in a Le Creuset French oven (enameled cast iron), but I've also used a lidded Pyrex with good luck. The loaves are round, but I slice the in half, then stand the halves up and slice down to have bread for sandwiches. (Bread must be completely cool before cutting.) The heels aren't really useable for sandwiches, but everything else is.