Menu

Phonics recommendations

sparrow

My ds (9) has suspected (testing through the county now) dyslexia and we dropped phonics early since it was getting us nowhere. He reads well enough, but has atrocious spelling.

I kind of dropped the ball with dd (newly 8) and phonics since I didn't do it with her brother. I feel as if she could benefit from some phonics work now.

What are your recommendations for phonics instruction? She did do some ETC workbooks between ages 6 and 7, but could definitely do them over. Should I just start over with ETC 1 or 2? Are there other programs you recommend over ETC?

Thanks for any advice!

I am using All About Spelling with dd5. She learned to read very early but never really learned the phonics rules. I like AAS because it goes over the phonics rules and teaches spelling at the same time. I think it's great to use with students who are already reading well but need to bring their spelling/writing up closer to their reading level. We will be finished with Level 1 next month and I just ordered level 2. We both love it!

We're also using All About Spelling. It's helped both of my kids with reading and with spelling. It's an Orton-Gillingham based program so it works well for kids with dyslexia, and it uses incremental, hands-on methods that are enjoyable. It goes through all of the phonics rules that are reliable, and teaches word-analysis skills with a variety of oral and visual strategies. I like that it's open and go (no prep except some time setting up the cards when you first get it, and we can just pick up where we left off each day). I blogged about how it has helped us, my son said it was the most effective program we tried, LOL! You might also be interested in this interview they just published in their newsletter with an educational tester who works with about 150 kids per year (and she also homeschooled her kids in the past).

Merry :-)

My ds (9) has suspected (testing through the county now) dyslexia and we dropped phonics early since it was getting us nowhere. He reads well enough, but has atrocious spelling.

I kind of dropped the ball with dd (newly 8) and phonics since I didn't do it with her brother. I feel as if she could benefit from some phonics work now.

What are your recommendations for phonics instruction? She did do some ETC workbooks between ages 6 and 7, but could definitely do them over. Should I just start over with ETC 1 or 2? Are there other programs you recommend over ETC?

Thanks for any advice!

I know you asked about for your daughter, but getting back to your son... If you got nowhere using phonics with a child you suspect may have dyslexia, check his phonemic awareness. (If he's undergoing testing for dyslexia, they may already check that but ask.) Some children don't naturally hear the individual sounds within words or may confuse some sounds with others without realizing they aren't the same sound.

I am using All About Spelling with dd5. She learned to read very early but never really learned the phonics rules. I like AAS because it goes over the phonics rules and teaches spelling at the same time. I think it's great to use with students who are already reading well but need to bring their spelling/writing up closer to their reading level. We will be finished with Level 1 next month and I just ordered level 2. We both love it!

We're also using All About Spelling. It's helped both of my kids with reading and with spelling. It's an Orton-Gillingham based program so it works well for kids with dyslexia, and it uses incremental, hands-on methods that are enjoyable. It goes through all of the phonics rules that are reliable, and teaches word-analysis skills with a variety of oral and visual strategies. I like that it's open and go (no prep except some time setting up the cards when you first get it, and we can just pick up where we left off each day). I blogged about how it has helped us, my son said it was the most effective program we tried, LOL! You might also be interested in this interview they just published in their newsletter with an educational tester who works with about 150 kids per year (and she also homeschooled her kids in the past).

Merry :-)

I will definitely look into All About Spelling. Sounds like it may be just what we're looking for.

Thanks so much!

I know you asked about for your daughter, but getting back to your son... If you got nowhere using phonics with a child you suspect may have dyslexia, check his phonemic awareness. (If he's undergoing testing for dyslexia, they may already check that but ask.) Some children don't naturally hear the individual sounds within words or may confuse some sounds with others without realizing they aren't the same sound.

I will ask about this. We'll be looking into auditory processing, as well. Within the past 6 months, I started noticing that ds isn't *hearing* things the way they should be heard. I had begun doing more dictation for him and he would write "reptieohs" for "reptiles", etc.

Thanks!