Menu

BRAT diet suggestions...

After Two weeks of sickness, finally went to the doc this morning and cold bug/virus/whatever that I caught on the plane is moving....south. :ack2: The doc put me on a BRAT diet, and I know that the BRAT diet doesn't literally mean bananas, rice, applesauce and toast...

Any ideas that are non-dairy, easy to do and hanging around the house? I think I have 5 apples and rice in the house. I made bread yesterday but it was consumed at last night's dinner. I don't have any bananas. Going to the store is the LAST thing I want to do right now.

Bananas, Rice, Apples, TEA!!!!!!!

No dairy!!!!!!! Little bits of apple -- apple peel included -- I think it helps 'bind' (sorry).

No milk in the tea -- when you have this type of 'bug' the enzyme that digests dairy is the last to return, so dairy is the last thing added back to your diet.

My suggestions: Toast and jelly, flat ginger ale over crushed ice, saltine crackers (plain - or with jelly). Sorry - your diet is going to be B-O-R-I-N-G for a day or three!

The doc put me on a BRAT diet, and I know that the BRAT diet doesn't literally mean bananas, rice, applesauce and toast...

Actually I thought it did literally mean that. But I'd probably safely add in broth soup, ginger ale, gatorade, and maybe some cream of wheat with no milk added. And immodium. Hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

I don't know if this is right, but I usually feed my kids things like chicken noodle soup, toast (w/ jam or cinnamon sugar), pretzels, crackers, oatmeal, a plain dry cereal (like Cheerios), bananas, things like that. I thought that apples and especially apple peel was horrible for someone having stomach issues, but perhaps I'm wrong. A physician's assistant once told me that the pectin in the apples would exacerbate any stomach issue. I don't know if this is accurate or not. Oh, and I know you're not supposed to drink milk or eat milk products like ice cream or cheese, but I think yougurt is good for you because it helps restore some of the good bacteria in your digestive system. That's just my opinion, though.

That's what I thought too, but my doctor specifically said no yogurt or kefir. I'm not on any antibiotics (yippee!)...I was surprised at this one, as she is quite accepting and progressive in her treatments.

Probably because the most easily available yogurt will have sugar in it which would aggravate your stomach issues. You might try a children's pro-biotic just to be on the safe side - if you need the name of one, let me know -- the refrigerated section of WF, Wegman's, or MOM's will have them.