Menu

Digital camera for nine year old girl?

Can anyone recommend a digital camera for dd9? She has been using mine and is interested in scrapbooking, so I want to buy her her own camera and scrapbook kit. Most of the cameras I've seen on Amazon are either Fisher-Price type kids cameras or regular adult type cameras. I want it to be inexpensive, but not too kiddy, but easy to use and basic. Does anyoen have any suggestions?

Also, can anyone recommend a good starter scrapbook kit?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

My son has the Kodak Easy-Share camera. (Amazon link - although you may want to check at Target or Walmart instead... I'm not quite sure this is the exact model).

It's worked well for him, takes good pictures, will also take video.

We got a Wii strap to use as a strap for the camera so he wouldn't drop it. (He got it as a 6th birthday present from my folks.)

My now 9yo got an Easy-Share (model C513) as a Yule gift two years ago and loves it. She has not lost it (like she did the refurbed Ipod she got last year:glare:) and has been very responsible with it. She loves to take pictures.

Mine's into scrapbooking now as well, so I'll follow for suggestions on that end!

I would get a simple adult camera for her. Either Kodak Easy Share or Fujifilm FinePix. My 9 year old is into scrapbooking as well as American Girl dolls. When we were out today she noticed that Micheal's has an American Girl scrapbook kit. That is now on her list for Christmas.

Jan

My son has the Kodak Easy-Share camera. (Amazon link - although you may want to check at Target or Walmart instead... I'm not quite sure this is the exact model).

It's worked well for him, takes good pictures, will also take video.

We got a Wii strap to use as a strap for the camera so he wouldn't drop it. (He got it as a 6th birthday present from my folks.)

We just ordered this same camera for both my daughters for Christmas. Got ours at Sam's for $87 and they come in a few different colors.

Also looked at the Nikon Cool Pix, but they don't take video, so we went with the Kodak.

My 5 year old DD has taken over my Olympus waterproof/shockproof camera. I guess that if she has to take over one of my cameras, this is the one it should be LOL. We take this to the beach/pool and shoot underwater photos. And it can be dropped from 6 feet up and is supposed to be shockproof. Yes, this feature got accidently tested LOL....it works. So she can drop this camera in water and drop it onto the concrete and it should still be in working order. So far so good! It may be more than you want to pay though.....but it is well worth it.

Here's the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Tough-6000-Waterproof-Blue/dp/B001P06Q20 . But I think there are previous models for cheaper, especailly if you check eBay.

My nine year old is getting a camera for Christmas this year. We bought her an adult camera (I bought it black Friday and can't think of what brand). I just ordered her this: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Digital-TGK-NS-Camera-Strap/dp/B001AJFWO4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259646061&sr=8-7 It's a neck strap to put on the camera. I have one on mine and love it. It makes it much easier when I'm taking pictures to just drop it rather than find a place to set it down. Since I got the strap I take a lot more pictures because it's easy to keep my camera right with me (think hetic birthday party). My dd has been borrowing mine a lot and I insist that she wear it so she won't drop it. I'm going to insist the same with her new camera!

Melissa