Menu

Explode the Code question

sleepymommy

I'm thinking about trying Explode the Code with ds1 as a supplement to his phonics lessons. He loves workbooks, but is just starting to get better at handwriting. He reads all double and triple consonant blends, ending and beginning and is learning how to read long vowel words.

Should we still start with book one or skip over to 2 or 3? Also, I've seen similar books at B & N, but can't remember what the name of it was now. If you know which ones I'm talking about, how do you think they compare? I've never seen the ETC books IRL, so it's hard for me to gauge the difference.

Thanks!

I think you could start with book 2. Book 1 is just CVC words, book 2 is consonant blends and book 3 moves to long vowel words. If Book 1 would be too easy, I would start with 2. If he is just learning long vowels I don't think I would go right to 3 before he is a little more comfortable reading them, but that is just me.