Menu

MCT Placement?

scrapbabe

My 12 year old daughter just recently started MCT at the town level. I would have said she was above average in grammar but I'm so glad we started at the level we did. She has learned a lot (ME TOO). I called RFWP before ordering and they were very helpful. I would have started her out too high :D

I started my 11yos in Town this year. They're probably ahead in grammar, and while they can write quantity without too much trouble, they had done mostly creative-type writing and not done much on the structure of a paragraph, so I decided to back up a level. If your dd has a lot of that already from IEW, it'd probably be easier to go up the level.

I have to say I'm fairly glad I didn't skip CE1 or the first Poetics book either, though. We're going through them pretty quickly and may start Voyage level later in the year, or I may add some IEW Ancient History lessons inbetween (that would be the first time we'd be doing IEW).

I second (third?) the recommendation to talk to the folks at RFWP too.

So I have an almost 13 year old boy with not a whole lot of grammar or writing background. I'm interested in maybe doing MCT and am wondering where to start. Should I start with the Island Level, or do Magic Lens? Anyone know?

Smiles,

Shalynn

My 8th grade son started MCT this fall. He is bright but we just started formal grammar in 7th with basic parts of speech.

When I e-mailed them, they recommended the whole Magic Lens level. I think it would be fine for him if he had done MCT before. But as it was, we've gravitated a lot towards Town level -

Grammar - Magic Lens 1

Practice - 4Practice 1

Vocab - Caesar's English I (town level)

Poetry - haven't started but I have Town level to start with, although the poems are quite easy & we should skip through that quickly

Writing - we're just starting Essay Voyage, and I've considered backing up further to Paragraph Town