Menu

HELP! We just chose DH's duty station, now what?

We are finally at the end of this long, long process of transferring from NG to AD. DH's orders should be cut in the next week. He has to report soon - we've been living off of savings waiting for this all to be processed.

How on earth do we go about arranging for movers? The man who he's been discussing this said to go to the housing office of the nearest installation to arrange the move. THe nearest installation is 2 hours away at Ft. Hood. There is the JRB over in Ft. Worth, but it's Navy, not army. Any ideas? I'm sure some of this will be explained at some point, but I want information sooner than later if any of you can give me the benefit of your experience!

Thanks everyone!

Don't quote me, but I'm 99% sure you will need to make your moving arrangements with the branch of service you will be joining. So, I'm pretty sure you will be doing all of the arrangements through the Army.

This is our experience: PCS orders are received. Appointment with the move office is made and you go and sit down for one mammoth session with them where they go over all of the logistics. They then sent someone out to my home to do a basic inventory (weight estimate). The packers come, then the movers (sometimes it's the same team, not always) put our stuff on the truck and we go. We've done this 3 times now, and it has always been the same. When we went in initially, we were in the same city as the nearest Base. Not sure how it works when you live a bit away from the nearest installation.

Some hints: make an inventory of all of your electronics including serial numbers and model numbers. I would also do a video inventory of your home. If you have very valuable items, you might want to consider moving these yourself. Plan for stuff to get broken. It always does. If you are REALLY attached to something, move it yourself. This last move, our claim was well over $3000 in damaged and lost goods -- this is unusual, but not unheard of. Movers are chosen by the LOWEST bid. They often get what they pay for unfortunately. Treat the movers well...buy them lunch, or at least offer to have some pizza or subs and water or pop out for them. The stories about packed garbage cans are true. If it's there, they'll pack it. Ask for your goods to be crated...that means after they are boxed up, they'll be put into large wooden crates so there are no loose boxes...even if they are doing a site to site move, it is safer in case something happens on the other end, and the stuff has to go into TMO storage (interim storage). It's much easier to find an 8 foot tall crate than a 2 sf box in a warehouse!!! Go with your husband to the appointment. After everything is packed and inventoried, MAKE SURE that inventory is right -- don't let them pressure you to sign anything until you are sure it is right. Make sure that the condition of your goods is documented correctly. Don't be afraid to call the movers out when they make damage assessments on your furniture if the damage isn't there...they use damage codes. Read their assessments CAREFULLY!

I had to do our first military move ALONE as a spouse...talk about culture shock. (DH had already been sent to training so I moved us from Spokane, WA to Ogden, UT alone.)

When my dh joined the military and we moved to our first duty station (3hrs from where I was staying with our son at my dad's house), the military did not pay for our first move. We had to move ourselves. Now it could be completely different going from NG to AD (my dh was a civilian and went AD) but that was our experience.

If they are going to move you, they will send your dh to TMO to make arrangements. They can have movers to your house within days, ask me how I know. :lol: For one of our moves, we were cut short notice orders on Friday, went to TMO on Monday and the movers were at our house on Wednesday. :lol:

Typically we receive our written orders and DH goes onto an official website (which will be included in the written orders.. this is a relatively new step in the move process and holds true for all branches) to set up the move and answer a bunch of questions regarding your household. They process that information and contact you (DH) with an approved move date (which you submitted as part of the questions... usually three dates you are willing or able to move on) additionally they give you your packing company (different from moving company) contact information and then you contact that packing company for a pre-move inspection meeting (usually about 2 weeks prior to moving). If the website is not in your orders than DH and you need to go directly to the personal property office on base.. the national guard should have a personal property entity that you can work with if you are not near your branches base (Army, Navy.. etc). Some helpful websites are www.lifelines.navy.mil (this is navy but full of good advice) or call Ft. Hood's personal property office.

FYI the housing office does not set moves up, it is the personal property office that you'll need. Hope this helps and Welcome to Active Duty!