Menu

Has anyone used Trachtenburg system of Speed Calculations?

Has anyone used the Trachtenburg system of speed mathematics? I used it briefly with a (struggling, unmotivated) ten-year old when I was in a homeschooling co-op a few years ago, and after a couple of sessions at it, he replied excitedly "This is so easy!". Unfortunately, my responsibilities shifted there soon after, and I never got a chance to follow through on this promising start.

I believe my daughter will soon be ready for it, since its starting point is multiplication problems with at least one two-digit number; I'm aware that the Trachtenburg-influenced "Speed Math for Kids" is available at Amazon, but I want to check with experienced users first.

Daughter: 8; Singapore Primary Mathematics 3A; Story of the World Level 2; Writing Strands 3; Spelling Workout Level C; Science experiment books recommended in WTM

Son: 5: First Language Lessons Level 1; Singapore Primary Mathematics 1A; general handwriting practice and reading practice

Here are some samples from Wikipedia and a company that promotes it:

http://www.speed-math.com/

Rule: Add the digit to its neighbor. (By neighbor we mean the digit on the right.)

Example: 3,425 × 11 = 37,675

0 3 4 2 5 x 11=

3 7 6 7 5(0+3) (3+4) (4+2) (2+5) (5+0)To illustrate:

11=10+1

Thus,

3425 x 11 = 3425 x(10+1)

37675 = 34250 + 3425

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system

I have the book referenced in the Wikipedia article, "The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics." One of things I like about it is that it explains *why* the methods work, algebraically. The "Speed Math for Kids" book, based on the sample, seems to just show the how to do it, with no explanation as to why it is true. (I've been figuring out why the first method shown works - it's kind of fun :tongue_smilie:)

I do plan to teach the Trachtenberg methods to my kids. I think it is a great system - more unified than just a set of tricks, as well as great memory training. However, I have grand plans of teaching arithmetic in an axiom-based way (as crazy as it sounds, I really think it can be done - I've been figuring out how to utilize manipulatives to teach this way and everything; we'll see how it goes in a few years). So I plan to work through the why of each method as I introduce it, so it is more than just something to drill.