Menu

Which History of US Teacher/Student Guides to use?

kangato3

I'm thinking of using History of US for our 8th grade U.S. studies, but would like to use a teacher guide. I noticed that Rainbow Resource sells a whole bunch of different teacher guides and student sheets or guides to go with the series. Unfortunately, they don't show samples, only table of contents.

Does anyone have experience with any of the support materials? Has anyone used the Teacher's Guide for Middle/High School and the Student Study Guides? I would love any feedback.

Thanks,

Louise

I think the cheaper ones are student guides, not teaching guides. I'm using the teaching guide for the First Americans, from Oxford Univ. Press, and really like it. I've never seen the student guides, so can't comment on those.

ETA: My guide is for middle/high school. It's great for logic stage (my dd12), challenging for my ds10 grade 5.

Edited by Georgia

I used the John Hopkins guides with my two older children. They are listed for middle school students, but I really felt they were better for 8th--9th grade. Lots of in depth questions and projects included. Also, they recommended lots of corresponding books. were not cheap, but my local library had them. I highly recommend these guides.

... to confuse matters... Johns Hopkins also has their guides to go along with it.

My older dd used the Oxford Press materials here, with sample pages you can look at:

http://www.amazon.com/History-US-Assessment-Book-Books/dp/0195153480/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258691236&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/History-US-Thirteen-Colonies-1600-1740/dp/0195153529/ref=pd_sim_b_4

They were pricey but helped make it a fuller course for a high schooler.

Julie

Does anyone have experience with any of the support materials? Has anyone used the Teacher's Guide for Middle/High School and the Student Study Guides?

I don't use the Teacher or Student Guides as I don't mind coming up with my own essay questions, mapping projects, and supplemental readings myself. I do use Oxford's Assessment Book, though. This has multiple-choice tests to check for understanding of events, people and motives (vs. memorization of dates) and this one book covers the entire 10 book series. I don't do a lot of testing normally (I have a 6th grader) but I think these are intelligently written tests and my child actually looks forward to them. It's been a great way to check for comprehension.

My 8th grade dd is using A History of US with the Oxford materials/assessments at her montessori school. At home, we are reading Larry Schweikart's A Patriot's History of the United States to balance out liberal bias in the other series. Makes for good discussion when you have 2 history books, both touting themselves as factual, that disagree on some things.

My 8th grade dd is using A History of US with the Oxford materials/assessments at her montessori school. At home, we are reading Larry Schweikart's A Patriot's History of the United States to balance out liberal bias in the other series. Makes for good discussion when you have 2 history books, both touting themselves as factual, that disagree on some things.

Yes, balance is good. We had the Sonlight notes, a hefty volume specifically balancing some of Hakim's biases. I didn't use all of it by any means, but I liked adding in a conversation once in a while.

Julie

OK I made a list based on Rainbow Resources list of items for History of US.

1) History of US Individual Volumes and Sets [13] - (books)

2) History of US (3rd Edition) (old edition - limited quantities) [6] - old edition books

3) History of US Teacher’s Guides (3rd Edition) [10] – Oxford U. Press Middle/High School teacher’s guides (old) Nov 7, 2002

4) History of US Student Sheets, Team Sheets & Documents [10] John’s Hopkins workbooks (many not available)

5) History of US Game Cards, Answer Sheets, Assessments, Library and Media Resources – John’s Hopkins stuff (several not available)

6) History of US Teacher Guides - Elementary 3rd Ed. Revised [10] – Oxford U. Press Elementary teacher’s guides Oct 2003

7) History of US Teacher Guides - Middle/High School 3rd Ed. Revised [6] – Oxford U. Press Middle/High School teacher’s guides (revised) Nov. 2005

8) History of US Student Study Guides 3rd Ed. Revised – Oxford U. Press Middle/High School student books (revised) Nov 2005

It seems that #7/8 has updated #3.

Amazon sells History of US student study guide, California Edition by Oxford U. Press May 15, 2009. I think these are similar to #8.