Menu

Combining MFW with History Odyssey

Sweet Home Alabama

How would it be to combine these two?

This way MFW caters more to the grammar stage learner and History Odyssey offers more for the logic learner. HO would also beef up the notebooking while adding outlining. I've read where HO is like using pre-planned WTM suggestions.

I'm considering this for grades 2,6, and 7 studying ancient history. We would also use IEW's ancient history themed writing and maybe Diana Warings cds just for fun.

I do have a couple of concerns: first, would this plan actually work or is it too much. Second, is HO level 2 ancients enough for a 7th grader?

I've found MFW quite enough for my 7th grader. I just use the book basket to add more depth. With my 7th grader's LA requirements (Grammar, vocab from classical roots, writing strands and progeny press guides) math (Singpore and LOF), science (Apologia General Science), foreign language (Latin and Spanish) Logic and piano he's so very busy that I think adding more history might send him over the edge.

I know I've already answered this in the other thread, but I'll copy it here for others reading:

"I personally think it's too much. Adding the Waring CDs would be okay if you wanted to listen to those on the side, but MFW CTG is complete. Streams is one resource used in CTG, for parents/advanced students, and you could assign your 7th grader additional research assignments from there if you wanted. Doing IEW's Ancient themed writing wouldn't hurt since you'll have to have something for writing, anyway. But don't lots of folks use HO all by itself? I don't know anything about HO... just that I've seen it mentioned a lot, and it sounds like it's a complete history program all by itself?

Remember that you also have Book Basket in CTG which will add a LOT of extra reading.

P.S. Notebooking is done CTG, as well. She has instructions for how to set up your notebooks, the mapwork, timeline, etc. And as I said, if you feel your 7th grader needs more than what's assigned, I would just assign more biographies to be read, more written narrations, and take a look at the comp questions at the end of each unit in Streams. There's a lot there that a Logic age student can do.

Plus if you're doing IEW.... that should be enough. "