Menu

SL-Core 6 & 7 or SOTW 1-4 in two years

sahm99

We have yet to study history in a "structured-start-in-the-beginning-way".

Next year, with the kids being in 1st, 3rd and 5th, I am planning on making history a focus of our studies, using SOTW as our spine.

We are also huge fans of SL, having used most of CoreA/B/C/1-4 by then.

I am wondering what the experiences were, of those who used Core 6 & 7, and thus going through all four volumes of SOTW in two years. Did you feel terribly rushed? Did your kids retain much? Do you regret having gone that fast?

We would use the 6/7 readers for ds (who is an excellent reader, far above grade-level), use the 1/2 readers for our younger daughter and have our older daughter go through the 3/4 readers (which, really, have nothing to do with world history actually...).

Thank you for your thoughts!

We didn't feel rushed. But my son was in middle school, reading them to himself, and they're easy to read.

The read alouds and readers are wonderful!!! Core 6 is one of my favorite cores, I can't wait to read those books again someday when my other kids get older.

ETA: My son has retained so much history with SL, he reminds me of things I've forgotten. I think he has an excellent grasp of history and important events and figures.

I am wondering what the experiences were, of those who used C

ore 6 & 7, and thus going through all four volumes of SOTW in two years. Did you feel terribly rushed? Did your kids retain much? Do you regret having gone that fast?

Thank you for your thoughts!

We used parts of SL Core 6 last year and "I" felt rushed! I wanted to do a 3 year history cycle so we pushed through and did SOTW 1&2 in one year for 6th grade. It was too much info each week to throughly discuss and retain. Yes, I wish we did SOTW 1 in grade 5 and then SOTW 2 in grade 6. We used the SOTW tests with AG maps & discussion questions too.

This year we're doing SOTW 3 our own way (w/o SL); next year we'll do SOTW 4. See my blog for more detailed info. on what we're using this year for history.