Menu

Cambridge Latin

LadyAberlin

Our sequence has been: Latin's Not so Tough Level 2, then Minimus, then Getting Started with Latin, Cambridge unit 1 now Cambridge unit 2. My son likes Cambridge, because of the history and stories, which are often amusing. I find it lacking in direct grammar instruction, which I need because I am learning along with him. He is just surpassing me now, and it's because he's grasped the grammar more quickly than I have.

I don't know anything about Galore Park's latin.

Cambridge and Latin Prep/SYL have slightly different focuses. Latin Prep/SYL concentrate more on grammar; Cambridge teaches more vocabulary.

I had been planning the progression you mention before we decided that Calvin would go to school. My plan had been LP 1, 2,3 then SYL 3. Whilst doing SYL3 we would go over the vocabulary from Cambridge books 1, 2, and 3 (using the online resources) before starting Cambridge at book 4.

This is all based on the UK editions of Cambridge: I don't know if the US progression is different. The grammar contents of UK Cambridge book 3 are here.

Best wishes

Laura

I asked earlier about Oak Meadow's Latin and it seems no one has used it. They use Cambridge Latin as their text. Would this be a good text to follow so you really want to learn latin 3 by galore park? Does anyone have experience with Cambridge?

Thanks

I don't know anything about Oak Meadow, but Cambridge Latin folds in the grammar instruction into the reading. There is a logical sequence to how they have set it up so that students learn how the forms and syntax work and it's specifically designed to create fluent readers of Latin. You can check the Scope and Sequence here to see how they combine forms and syntax:

http://www.cambridge.org/us/education/latin/images/pdf/scopeandsequence.pdf

Many classroom teachers use Cambridge as their foundation sequence and their students do well on the Advanced Placement test, reading Vergil and other advanced authors. The stories in earlier volumes of Cambridge are adopted from Classical authors and gradually the adaptations give way to authentic, ancient Latin readings. The way this is done is really clever and brilliant and of course, if teachers feel the need to add in additional grammatical terminology, they usually do so.

but here the site has been taken down. Not the whole site, just the reviews. But, it sounds like you may not need it anyway. I had been really depending on those reviews, at least as much for myself as for my son.

Not sure what site you are referring to, but if it is the Cambridge Classics Project site, they recently announced (October 29th) that they are currently in the process of bringing the site back, but costs for running the server are forcing them to require a small fee. They have been trying to find funding so that they can provide it for free, but haven't been successful yet. (The fee really is fairly small, too. It states that they'll be asking for $10 for homeschool access, whereas traditional schools will have a somewhat more expensive licensing fee, but still fairly reasonable. The $10 per user/per year homeschool fee doesn't sound expensive at all and according to their site it is supposed to be back online in mid-to-late November.)

Edited by latinteach