Menu

Need a name for a photography studio

We would like something that could have Christian symbolism but is not blatent. We intend to begin with the basics - events, portraits, albums, but our real desire is to eventually branch out to more artistic pursuits.

There is enormous creativity and talent in this group (and most of you are smarter than me...) I would love to brainstorm with you. All ideas will be entertained (not just Christian ones) and even silly ideas can spin off good ones, so give me anything you've got :-)

I'll redirect the question back you: what have YOU got?

what type of photography? Digital, 35mm? What will you offer (outside of what's mentioned?)

where will it be held (in a building, your home)

how many people?

what are your talents?

I came across my name -Creative Wonders- because it is always a wonder how I do things creatively with zero artistic education given to me :) So what's your story?

I'll redirect the question back you: what have YOU got?

A whole lot to learn in a very short period of time :D

My dh and a friend are the photography talent. Our partner has been to photography school and had operated her own studio for a short time before going through a major life change. My dh has the passion and the talent (and the equipment) but no formal education and little experience. Our partner will be the one showing him the business, and he is a very quick study. I am more interested in graphic design - creative ways to present the photos. Dh and I have produced montages, and dvd's with music accompaniment (I learned to edit music when dd was skating). We could also produce things like calendars, sales brocures and yearbooks. We will very soon begin producing a photo directory for our church. I am also beginning to learn web design, which I have wanted to do for quite some time. And, no - I have no letters after my name just good eye for detail and a strong desire to learn :-)

what type of photography? Digital, 35mm?

They use digital cameras. I don't know what they have, something with a lot of initials and numbers - as I said that isn't my area of expertise.

What will you offer (outside of what's mentioned?)

What do you need?

where will it be held (in a building, your home)
We will begin converting the garage to a home studio as soon as the weather warms a bit more. We will also travel. The church photos will be taken at fellowship hall at church , etc.,

what are your talents?

Well my dh wants to take pictures of ordinary objects from new perspectives. He has an interest in the abstract. Our partner at one point wanted to explore photojournalism, but I do not know if that is practical for her at this time. I think she really likes baby pictures. Right now, we are trying to gain experience through the ordinary (weddings, portraits, etc.,) While finding our niche.

I came across my name -Creative Wonders- because it is always a wonder how I do things creatively with zero artistic education given to me

You can't "teach" talent ;)

My dh and a friend are the photography talent. Our partner has been to photography school and had operated her own studio for a short time before going through a major life change. My dh has the passion and the talent (and the equipment) but no formal education and little experience. Our partner will be the one showing him the business, and he is a very quick study. I am more interested in graphic design - creative ways to present the photos. Dh and I have produced montages, and dvd's with music accompaniment (I learned to edit music when dd was skating). We could also produce things like calendars, sales brocures and yearbooks. We will very soon begin producing a photo directory for our church. I am also beginning to learn web design, which I have wanted to do for quite some time. And, no - I have no letters after my name just good eye for detail and a strong desire to learn :-)

"Professional" opinion: while I understand and respectthe desire to reflect God in your work, try avoiding a name that seems too much like that's what you are doing. Were I of faith, the name "Creative Wonders" can have many meanings :) kwim? There are many people, right or wrong, that base who they do business with solely on the name of that business. Choose carefully for this one.

Even if you can't afford a lawyer, document everything between you and this partner. Things in writing, notarized or not, mean more in court than "word". Layout first what your partner's duties will be and then what your husband's will be, then what your's will be, etc... Obviously, since they are doing the most work, they will get the most pay. I'd be very leery of someone coming in and trying to take business out from under me (that's why I work alone)--not saying she will, just be careful.

If you can do a website, do so and then advertise via your church. Word WILL get out. Avoid advertising at "seedy" places like laundrymats and such. Choose Libraries, churches, schools, etc.. And gear it towards each place-- churches=weddings, etc..And don't limit yourself, offer outside "non-formal" or not staged photographs. Like I suggested to someone before who wanted her son's senior pictures with his guitar--think outside the box in this--black and white photo, beach shots(or lake or pond), with animals of all kinds, etc.... And GO TO THEM if and when you can. That brings your price up and makes you more desirable.

And most of all, find a good print company. I use Mpix.com and I am pleased with what I've received from them. To start with, you can "farm out" your images for them to print up, until you get enough money to do it yourself and they offer everything you want to offer.

And I know you can't teach talent, but convince the masses of that--the ones who think that piece of paper means something. ;)

I am not so worried about the business side of things. Dh already owns a small corporation (complete with business partner and about 20 employees). He does have a lawyer already - He knows what he is doing ;)

There is a physical therapy office in our town called "Crossroads". They are Christian, but one wouldn't know it from the name alone. That is the kind of name we want.

We definitely need a good print company, thank you for the recommendation.

I am not so worried about the business side of things. Dh already owns a small corporation (complete with business partner and about 20 employees). He does have a lawyer already - He knows what he is doing ;)

There is a physical therapy office in our town called "Crossroads". They are Christian, but one wouldn't know it from the name alone. That is the kind of name we want.

We definitely need a good print company, thank you for the recommendation.

Good on the dh/lawyer thing. One step ahead then.

And you got my gist with the name thing, also good. How about "In the Light" Studios?

That just came to me, btw..;)

Give mpix a try, send them something small and see what you get in return. I was very pleased.