Menu

for those with same age dc - how do you individualize their studies?

Mom to 3+1

I have 2 nd grade triplets, and I see that it is time to break things out a bit (this is our 1 yr hs). My son is ready to move ahead in math but needs extra phonics time from his sisters... how do you individualize their studies without making anyone feel "bad" and how do you find the time to work with each when they are all still so needing... so far they have not been able to stay focused and do any independant work. Laura

I have three children, three years apart and we have struggled with the same issue.

I tutor my kids one at a time starting with the hardest subject for the oldest. I try to keep the tutor session short (like 30-45 min) and make sure the other two have something to do. I rotate through each child and then start over with the oldest for a second one on one session. That usually take the whole morning and then we work on group activites like history and read alouds in the afternoon.

For independent work my 2nd grader does handwriting, copy work, fun reading, math drills and drawing (he loves the Draw, Write, Now books). We use the BJU homesat system so he also watches his english and science classes, though we do the workbooks together.

It is really hard when you kids don't have much to do independently. It will get much easier when they get older. Last year I tried to set up play stations: Lego station, reading nook, building center, puzzle center and an art center. I tried to have them rotate through the stations on a schedule but it was a disaster - too distracting and they got bored easy. However, many hs are successful doing this so maybe it would work for you. Also many hs have been successful with setting up a notebook with independent things to do like worksheet pages, copywork, handwriting, math facts and coloring pages. Dividers for days of the week make the notebook easy to use.

We are having a much better year this year. Obviously the BJU homesat has really helped because my kids each have about three subjects that they work on independently. Additionaly we school around the dining room table all together. Everyone stays in their seats so we have much less distractions. Each child has a daily to do checklist with the independent work written in black and lessons with me written in red. Also I made little table top cubicles with a tri-fold foam presentation board (cut in half and let kids decorate). I bring them out when they need help concentrating.

Hang in there. It gets much easier as they get older.