Menu

x-post Web sites with famous art inspired by literature/poetry?

Does anyone have any links to sites which have famous art (paintings, sculpture, etc.) which were inspired by literature or poetry.

For ex. Waterhouse did a painting on La Belle Dame Sans Merci by Keats or King Arthur's Wedding Feast by Arthur Rackham.

I always find these long after I would have liked to have shown them to the girls.

Any help would be sooo appreciated...I tried numerous ways to google this and can't find what I'm looking for. Hmmm, does it exist? Even a book suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Kfamily

Well, I thought I share what I found on my own. This took a lot of digging around on the computer but I finally found these:

(I've listed the painter first and the titles of the paintings underneath)

John Everett Millais

Ophelia (from Hamlet)

Mariana (from Tennyson's Mariana and from Shakespeare's Measure for Measure)

The Eve of St. Agnes (Keats)

John Singleton Copley

The Red Cross Knight (Spenser's Faerie Queene)

Raphael Sanzio

St. George and the Dragon (Spenser's Faerie Queene)

J.W. Waterhouse

St. Cecilia (I included this because we just read about her in a little book for my younger dd entitled In God's Garden)

Miranda (The Tempest)

The Lady of Shalott (Tennyson's poem of same title)

Juliet (Romeo and Juliet)

Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Dante's Vision of Rachel and Leah

There were a lot of Greek myth paintings as well but I haven't created sheets for them yet.

Please correct me if you see anything that needs to be corrected. I wish I could download and share the pages I created for each one but I don't have a blog to do that and I'm severely impaired with all these really neat computer skills. I am so proud I've figured out to save these really cool pictures and can then turn them into notebook pages from Microsoft word. So you can see how limited I am....:D

Hope this helps someone!