Menu

s/o The Fairy Books by Andrew Lang

swimmermom3

We borrowed the Andrew Lang books from our local library when a couple of the children were interested in fairy stories. The children had different favorites so it is difficult to suggest which one. Gutenberg.org has the books online, but they aren't illustrated and the line drawings shouldn't be missed. Books.google.com has full books with photos if you would like to preread any of the stories.

The red and blue book have by far the most familiar tales, but even those have many that are less familiar. After that, well over half the tales in each book are the less familiar ones. So really, any of them I really think would meet your needs. I liked re-reading familiar tales, because these are "closer to the source" than retellings, which are often altered. These stories are definitely written for older children to read to themselves. The language is too difficult for young children's picture books. 11 is a good age for them, I would say.

We buy ours at a nearby independent children's bookstore. I like to patronize a local business and especially a bookstore. At a place like that you can browse and they will often order what you want if they don't own it.

Pick the non-primary colored ones (orange, olive, etc) as they were compiled later, after the familiar ones were put into the red and blue. Look at the descriptions on Dover.

Thank you! I spent some time at Gutenburg.org and decided upon the pink, gray, and violet ones. I am adding them to an order for two of Bruce Coville's Shakespeare books. I wish there was a job that paid you to read children's books. I could fund retirement.:D