Menu

WWE dication for non-visual kid

christine in al

I LOVE WWE.

But I'm a bit stuck on dication, my 9 year old is finishing WWE-2. Pre WWE, he spontaneously composed multi-chapter fictional stories and typed them. He loves words and he likes to write,, but when it comes to dictation, he gets the gyst of the quote but often changes an article or another small thing.

He nor I are visual , I talked to him about visualizing the sentence. "The puppy ran up the road" . He and I both " saw" the puppy, not the written sentence.

SO..... do I hold him to the verbatim copying,, and if so, why? Do I hang in for 6 more lessons of WWE-2 or should we go on to WWE-3 . We did lesson 36 and he wrote " on the sea" rather than " in the sea" ,,, or something like that, a prepostion was changed.

I guess, I want help adapting WWE for a verbal kid rather than a visual kid. Or convincing that the verbatim details are worth the work.

TIA,

~Christine in AL

Do you ever have him repeat the sentence back to you as you read it? Either in whole or by phrase?

I really don't see this as a visual vs verbal thing -- I see it as an attention to detail thing. He can visualize the sentence if that helps him, or he can repeat the words (aloud or in his head) so that he "hears" them again and as he's writing... But he does have to pay enough attention to detail to get it right.

When he makes mistakes, I would simply re-read the sentence and have him check and correct his own work.