Menu

botany "gift" for Mother's Day? Original Ideas?

I'm teaching a Botany unit for one hour a week for the rest of the school year for 4th-5th graders. I thought it would be nice to have something for Mom on Mother's Day. BUT, I don't want anything too young (the one flower in a small pot, etc from the preschool and K/1st days). I'm trying to think of something more interesting, maybe a small kitchen herb pot? Some really cool tropism thing? Something the kids can grow in about 5 weeks.

Ideas? or should I just give it up and let their Dad's take care of it?

TIA

This year my ds10 made a really cool framed picture with a pressed rose. He pressed the rose (actually he used a really cool flower press that uses the microwave). Because a rose is thick, he had to take it apart petal by petal. I'm sure you could use the old phone book pressing method. Once pressed, he arranged the petals on a nice background and then put it in an inexpensive frame. He loves his rose "picture".

BTW: this was part of a botany chapter in his science book (he had to identify the different flower parts to me), but it became a beautiful art project too.