Menu

How long on average does a Saxon Advanced math lesson take to complete?

This sounds about right. There is quite a bit of work to those lessons.

My daughter can do them in about an hour. :glare: Then she has to back, write out all her steps, and find the simple mistakes that she made because she would not write out her steps--that takes about another 1 1/2 hours :lol:

Really she does them in two hours when she is not stubborn and will write the steps--all of them.

Linda

Seems about right. My son and I grade the previous days lesson, he then reads the current days lesson, watches the dive cd and then does the problem set. We are doing this text in 3 semesters. Right now we are doing about 3 lessons per week with one test added in when the tests occur. Because we are doing 3 lessons per week, it does cut down on the time intensivness a bit.

Barb

My son who loves math took 2 hours. My son who hates math takes 3 when he's being really careful.

It seems like a lot but it's a great preparation for college. My oldest is in CC calc and spends at least 15 hrs/week on it, including class and homework.

Was your son able to go from Saxon Adv to CC calc? Right now that is my plans but I worry whether he will be prepared or not.

This sounds about right. There is quite a bit of work to those lessons.

My daughter can do them in about an hour. :glare: Then she has to back, write out all her steps, and find the simple mistakes that she made because she would not write out her steps--that takes about another 1 1/2 hours :lol:

Really she does them in two hours when she is not stubborn and will write the steps--all of them.

Linda

I understand! LOL Glad to know that he is not out of the norm then.

Seems about right. My son and I grade the previous days lesson, he then reads the current days lesson, watches the dive cd and then does the problem set. We are doing this text in 3 semesters. Right now we are doing about 3 lessons per week with one test added in when the tests occur. Because we are doing 3 lessons per week, it does cut down on the time intensivness a bit.

Barb

Thanks! He is using Art Reed's Saxon DVD's when he needs them and it does add time to his day too.

Yes, he was. He had an average of 93-95% on all homework sets. And he's doing well in the class. And BTW he's in the highest calc which is for engineering or physical sci majors. So I'm happy w/Saxon's preparation and I'm just a little proud of my son. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement! My son is heading for engineering school too.

I haven't taken any math beyond Saxon Advanced Math, but do remember the lessons taking forever. Besides the hour of class time (dedicated to going over anything we didn't understand in the previous lesson, turning in homework, being taught the new lesson, and MAYBE getting a start on the problem set), I'd work another 1-2 hours (depending on how much got done in class) on homework each night. It was a lot of work, but it was also my best math year ever. :)