Menu

I can't believe this...

So we have been waiting for a gov't voucher for our car. It is basically a voucher giving us $3000 towards a new-to-us car (2007 or newer) as an incentive to get our car off the road.

Anyway, it came today and so we loaded up Goo and took him to daycare (he goes to daycare two days per week before mom gets off work but after our homeschool day ends). Then we excitedly start driving to the dealership we planned to go.

All of a sudden, the car overheats and has oil everywhere and is smoking and it's bad....We tried just cooling it down, adding water and oil, but it just wouldn't start back up. A friend brought us home.

Get this, while sitting waiting for friend to get there, I get a call from a nearby Kia dealership I had called a few weeks ago! Anyway, I hadn't planned to go that route, but after I got home, I called her back getting some information. I'm unsure about going that direction, but IF they can deliver what they are saying, it seems it could be a good thing.

Anyway, so....I have to find a ride to go car shopping. Can you imagine a worse thing to be asked for? UGH. The one who gave us the ride home volunteered but I know she'll hate being away from her little kids so long. I might be able to get my son to babysit for another friend but I can't get ahold of her. I don't know....

And of course, hubby is still in KY and was not happy to hear his wife and daughter were stranded on the freeway. But...

My dad was frustrated because he can't come up here. My mom is having health issue and he is on call this weekend. So he can't come help. Men don't like not being able to fix things.

Anyway, so I'm just venting. I couldn't believe I could break down on the way to a dealership to buy a new (to me) car!

I'm sorry to hear about your car dying! Thankfully, you were able to get home though! Irony is a funny thing...

As to the Kia part... we bought a Sedona minivan 2 years ago, after MUCH research, and we love it! My BIL recently worked for Acura for almost 15 years, and he said Kia and Hyundai are the cars to watch. Experts are very pleased with those 2 brands, and it is speculated they will begin to overtake Honda and Toyota. Granted, this was his point of view, but it matched up with most of my research, so we took the leap. Their warranty is fantastic; that gave us some security in our purchase as well.

Hope it all works out for you! It will be exciting to be driving a new car soon!

Thanks Jill. We're east of Dallas and the Kia dealership is in Plano. The other dealership is in Carmax.

I had wanted an Optima or Sonata but I really want to keep price down. I asked the Kia dealership what the size down from an Optima was (thinking I don't want a Rio...I can't go that small). She said they have 2010 Forte's. According to interior size, they are a little bigger than the Civic and Corolla. It's still a little smaller than I wanted, but I may not be able to afford what I *want.* I mean, I won't settle completely, but....

Anyway, Carmax is an option, but seems like EVERYONE wants their Sonatas. And the only Optima is white and a manual...I considered a PT Cruiser they have but the interest rate they said was so high that it would end up being about what the brand new car would be monthly.

I want to pay off either the Optima we have (hubby has in KY) or what we buy...like pay it off within 6mo, whichever one has the higher interest rate. I don't want to carry two car payments!