Menu

Winston Grammar Basic to R & S?

Chloe

I'm using Winston Grammar Basic with my 5th and 6th graders this year. I really like it, but I'd like them to use something more comprehensive and independent when we finish it. Which R & S Grammar book do you think they would be able to go into after Winston Basic?

Thanks! I'm just full of questions today!

I'm using Winston Grammar Basic with my 5th and 6th graders this year. I really like it, but I'd like them to use something more comprehensive and independent when we finish it. Which R & S Grammar book do you think they would be able to go into after Winston Basic?

Thanks! I'm just full of questions today!

Remember that WG is *basic.* R&S's grammar component alone is more than basic; add to that the composition, using reference materials, and other topics covered in R&S's English series, and you'll see that your dc will be learning much more than they learned with WG.

Most people recommend children starting at least a grade level below the R&S text, if they are not coming from something similar (such as BJUP or ABeka's English series).

I used R&S English for many years ~ my oldest used Grades 2 through Grade 7 ~ so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's an excellent, comprehensive approach that I eventually felt was overkill and have set aside in lieu of other resources, including Winston Grammar. So I'm going the other direction.:) My question for you is, what, if anything, have your 5th & 6th graders been doing for "language arts"? I ask because R&S English is not merely grammar.

I used R&S English for many years ~ my oldest used Grades 2 through Grade 7 ~ so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's an excellent, comprehensive approach that I eventually felt was overkill and have set aside in lieu of other resources, including Winston Grammar. So I'm going the other direction.:) My question for you is, what, if anything, have your 5th & 6th graders been doing for "language arts"? I ask because R&S English is not merely grammar.

We've been working through WG (currently using WG Word Works). For writing we are using Writing Strands. For word study we use the cards from English from the Roots Up in conjunction with some nifty notebooking pages. I'm planning to add dictation twice a week (I always start dictation with the best of intention and then somehow it falls by the wayside)...

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically, this is my situation with my 5th and 6th graders except I want to return to Rod and Staff English while we do Winston this year. After two months of the Basic set, Winston takes just 10 minutes a day and 3x/week. It seems more as a supplement to grammar to me than a complete program. Not to say that it isn't incomplete because it does work and the cards reinforce the rules very well. However, I miss the comprehensiveness of Rod and Staff. I love having capitalization, punctuation and writing included which is missing in Winston. My dc love Winston and it's working so we are definitely keeping as a supplement.

I spoke with a Rod and Staff rep this week who recommended my trying the 5th gr. English since it has so much review of the lower levels and above that takes off quickly. He recommended dropping down to the 4th grade English if the 5th appeared to be too difficult for my dc. HTH

My question for you is, what, if anything, have your 5th & 6th graders been doing for "language arts"? I ask because R&S English is not merely grammar.

Sorry, Colleen! Just saw this.

My oldest did FLL in 1st and 2nd grades, Growing with Grammar in 3rd, then Easy Grammar 4/5 for 4th and 5th grades along with lots of copywork, dictation and freewrites. My ds (now a 5th grader) did Easy Grammar 3/4 after doing only half of the first FLL book. He also did lots of copywork, dictation and freewrites. That brings us to this year. Both are doing Winston Grammar Basic, along with IEW's US History-based Writing Lessons.

I really like Winston Grammar so far. However, I feel like my ds, especially, needs more work with usage and mechanics. I'm not grammar-intuitive enough to work on these things without a text.