Menu

Latin : pingo ???

christine in al

I question the value of this exercise if your children haven't learned how to conjugate this kind of verb. But here is a translation for your (I suspect) your activity: http://www.minimus-etc.co.uk/bingopage.htm

We've done Latin for Children A, B, C and the first few Chapters of Latin Prep, and we haven't come across this verb. It definitely means "I paint," it's a third conjugation verb, so it is conjugated like this:

pingo - I paint

pingis - you paint

pingit -he/she/it paints

pingimus - we paint

pingitis - you (plural) paint

pingunt - they paint

(As opposed to second conjugation verbs like "video," which look like this:

video, vides, videt, videmus, videtis, vident."

HTH,

Julie

I do not think the original poster is trying to do the activity on the website that you point out.

The verb "pingo" does appear in Exercise XIII and XIV, but there's no necessity for conjugation in either exercise. The definition is provided in XIV as the student needs to know the meaning of the word to accomplish the activity, but doesn't need to conjugate it. The verb (as an imperative) also appears in the Simon Says game on page 23.

I believe the exercise that the original poster is doing is XIII "The Six Verb Endings" Directions are to fill in the English for the verbs provided, and the conjugation is given, so all the student needs to do is recognize the personal endings of the verb, (o, s, t, mus, tis, nt) which are provided and in bold type. The student just needs to translate the conjugation, which shouldn't be difficult at all, as long as they know the definition of the verb. The other verb given is a fourth conjugation verb, given with its complete conjugation "dormio, dormis, dormit, dormimus, dormitis, dormiunt." Again, the student only needs to translate the words and again the clue given the student is that the personal endings are bolded.

The value of this exercise here is for the student to recognize (not produce) the personal endings in a provided conjugation. This is a perfectly acceptable exercise at this point and not without value.

See this page http://archives.nd.edu/words.html for a quick vocabulary lookup. It is not an exhaustive dictionary, but it does include 39000 entries which should cover most vocabulary in a beginning textbook.

I question the value of this exercise if your children haven't learned how to conjugate this kind of verb. But here is a translation for your (I suspect) your activity: http://www.minimus-etc.co.uk/bingopage.htm

We've done Latin for Children A, B, C and the first few Chapters of Latin Prep, and we haven't come across this verb. It definitely means "I paint," it's a third conjugation verb, so it is conjugated like this:

pingo - I paint

pingis - you paint

pingit -he/she/it paints

pingimus - we paint

pingitis - you (plural) paint

pingunt - they paint

(As opposed to second conjugation verbs like "video," which look like this:

video, vides, videt, videmus, videtis, vident."

HTH,

Julie

Edited by latinteach

My book is loaned out right now, so I couldn't look it up. I just assumed that "we are supposed to translate with the correct endingsmeant that they were supposed to conjugate the verb. Not sure what "with the correct endings" means if they are translating it into English. But I'll be quiet now, since I don't have my book here.

I do not think the original poster is trying to do the activity on the website that you point out.

The verb "pingo" does appear in Exercise XIII and XIV, but there's no necessity for conjugation in either exercise. The definition is provided in XIV as the student needs to know the meaning of the word to accomplish the activity, but doesn't need to conjugate it. The verb (as an imperative) also appears in the Simon Says game on page 23.

I believe the exercise that the original poster is doing is XIII "The Six Verb Endings" Directions are to fill in the English for the verbs provided, and the conjugation is given, so all the student needs to do is recognize the personal endings of the verb, (o, s, t, mus, tis, nt) which are provided and in bold type. The student just needs to translate the conjugation, which shouldn't be difficult at all, as long as they know the definition of the verb. The other verb given is a fourth conjugation verb, given with its complete conjugation "dormio, dormis, dormit, dormimus, dormitis, dormiunt." Again, the student only needs to translate the words and again the clue given the student is that the personal endings are bolded.

The value of this exercise here is for the student to recognize (not produce) the personal endings in a provided conjugation. This is a perfectly acceptable exercise at this point and not without value.

See this page http://archives.nd.edu/words.html for a quick vocabulary lookup. It is not an exhaustive dictionary, but it does include 39000 entries which should cover most vocabulary in a beginning textbook.

My book is loaned out right now, so I couldn't look it up. I just assumed that "we are supposed to translate with the correct endingsmeant that they were supposed to conjugate the verb. Not sure what "with the correct endings" means if they are translating it into English. But I'll be quiet now, since I don't have my book here.

XIII's provides 1 verb fully conjugated, with the endings bolded, with the translations provided for each verb form. There are 3 additional verbs (scribo, dormio, pingo) also fully conjugated, with the endings (o, s, t, mus, tis, nt) bolded. The student is expected to give the translations using the clue of the bolded endings: "I sleep, you sleep, he, she or it sleeps...etc."

To complete this assignment, the student needs to know what "scribo," "dormio," and "pingo" mean. An inexpensive Latin dictionary is always helpful or the link provided above for quick look-ups.