Menu

Minimus vs. other latin programs for young kiddos

Earth Yarn

I am wanting to include Latin for my kiddos and I would like to start it young with my DSs but I am confused over what is the best program and the differences between them. The main two I am looking at are Minimus and Prima Latina. My number one issue with Prima Latina is it seems kind of more religious unless there is a more secular way of doing the program. DH already bought me a brand new copy of Minimus w/ the teachers book but I can return it if there is a better way. Thanks again for your help all!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Oh, I was just about to post a similar question about Latin myself! If I may piggy-back, I have a question that is somewhat relevant to yours.

I've been looking at starting Latin with DS6 now, as he is reading quite well. However, every time I look at the scope and sequence of individual programs, I don't understand how one level really flows into another. For example, there's Song School, followed by three levels of Latin for Children. What follows that? Their Latin Alive program is described as an intro for older kids, which wouldn't be needed after three levels of Latin for Children, right? Argh! I am trying to figure out where I'm potentially going in the end as a means of figuring out where I want to start now. Does that make sense? :D Like you, I've looked at Minimus but the first level is for 2-5 and the second level is for 5-8 (but neither level seems to take 3 years to complete), with the Cambridge program that follows being for 9-12. :001_huh: How does one start Minimus young and have any kind of age-appropriate progression?

Has anyone done this from beginning to end (or have a working plan) without skipping around and/or repeating too much?

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I think it depends on how you want to study Latin. There is the grammar way and there is the immersion way. Prima Latina and Latina Christiana are the grammar way. Minimus is an immersion way. Personally, for Latin, I think that the grammar way is the best way because, to me, the point is not to be able to speak Latin but to analyze Latin and understand its structure. I know from experience, living in a European country and learning the language, that someone can read and understand a language without actually understanding its grammar and structure. Imo, that would defeat the purpose of learning Latin.

Classical Academic Press offers Song School Latin for kids in K-2. CAP is a Christian publisher, but from what I have seen, their materials are far less religious in tone than those of Memoria Press. I plan to start my dd in CAP's Latin for Children in 3rd grade.

Tara

Their Latin Alive program is described as an intro for older kids, which wouldn't be needed after three levels of Latin for Children, right?

My understanding is that Latin Alive follows LfC. It is introductory, in a way, but as it is also written for older kids, it covers more ground more quickly and will take a student beyond what they learned in LfC A-C. Although I have several years to figure it out, I am wondering whether I will go with LA or Galore Park after LfC.

Tara

We have Minimus and like the storybook approach, but I do not use it to actually learn Latin, but rather as a fun story to read. Right now we are using Song School Latin and are really enjoying it. The songs are catchy, and we use the Monkey Match cards to play memory, which is helping build their vocabulary. At this level, there is very little grammar instruction, which is fine for me. After the new year, I will start my oldest with Latin for Children A. The plan is to progress through all three levels of LfC and then more on to whatever comes next (though not from the same publisher, at least from what I can tell of the programs designed for older kids).

I would recommend SSL with your ds - if he's a younger 8 year old (I'm assuming you are asking for the 8 year old, forgive me if you aren't) - only because your 2.5 year old would probably like it too. Otherwise, you might want to check out Latin for Children - I was debating between it and Lively Latin, but I like the DVD content of LfC and I've been pleased thus far with the publisher because of our use of Song School Latin. To me, Minimus is a great supplement to get a feel for reading the language and understanding it (and like a pp stated, it might also depend on your goals with learning Latin - for us, it is grammar and structure, but also vocabulary, and being able to speak/understand is a huge bonus!). We only have the Minimus book and CD; I opted not to get the teacher's guide as it was too costly for what I was using it for, if that makes sense.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My understanding is that Latin Alive follows LfC. It is introductory, in a way, but as it is also written for older kids, it covers more ground more quickly and will take a student beyond what they learned in LfC A-C. Although I have several years to figure it out, I am wondering whether I will go with LA or Galore Park after LfC.

Tara

Oooh, thanks! I hope this is true. Apparently there are going to be three levels of LA in the future. Since Latin for Children was my first choice, I'm happy to hear that if it works out, we could keep going with it.

DD7,DS9 now

Secular and Classical pronounciation are preferences here so we do Minimus for fun with some writing of " words to remember" and working the " Grasp the grammar" portions. We are also moving through Getting Started with Latin.

We did SSL, but I was concerned with no macrons ( It is my ignorance that is making me so careful.... uh,, paranoid?) After this thread, I think I'll go back to SSL for the songs, and keep on with the other two.

I'm not sure about Minimus Secundus, maybe look some more for the mini books, and next year ( 8 and 10 years old, go on to a more formal stuff with So you really want to learn Latin... ( I just hope they do)

good luck.

~christine

We did SSL, but I was concerned with no macrons ( It is my ignorance that is making me so careful.... uh,, paranoid?) After this thread, I think I'll go back to SSL for the songs, and keep on with the other two.

/QUOTE]

Just a note, there aren't any macrons in SongSchool Latin but they use them extensively in Latin for Children. SSL is more a verbal thing and for kids still learning basic reading and writing, I'm glad there aren't macrons to confuse things more.

I think it depends on how you want to study Latin. There is the grammar way and there is the immersion way. Prima Latina and Latina Christiana are the grammar way. Minimus is an immersion way. Personally, for Latin, I think that the grammar way is the best way because, to me, the point is not to be able to speak Latin but to analyze Latin and understand its structure. I know from experience, living in a European country and learning the language, that someone can read and understand a language without actually understanding its grammar and structure. Imo, that would defeat the purpose of learning Latin.

Actually, Minimus isn't an immersion method textbook. The goal of Minimus, as stated in the introduction to the Teacher's Manual is:

1) "To introduce pupils to a real family that lived at Vindolanda." (Vindolanda is a Roman post located on the border of Northern England and Scotland. You can still visit it today. It is along Hadrian's Wall, and there are a number of excellent Roman museums and sites to visit nearby.) Therefore, one of the aims is to learn about Roman culture.

2) "To give pupils a taste of the language that the Romans spoke and brought to Britain, and which was so influential on the development of many other languages, especially English." It's an exploratory course, so the author sticks to the first and second declension and present tense, but students do learn to read some simple Latin.

3) "To help pupils understand English grammar, and to extend their English vocabulary, through the study of Latin." One of the major goals of this textbook is for students to come out knowing how to recognize in English and in Latin the parts of speech: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, prepositions, and pronouns.

Minimus is a prepatory course for a full Latin course. But it is not immersion. Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata by Oerberg or Piper Salve are immersion courses. Minimus is an exploratory type course to help students make connections between Latin and English.

Classical Academic Press offers Song School Latin for kids in K-2. CAP is a Christian publisher, but from what I have seen, their materials are far less religious in tone than those of Memoria Press. I plan to start my dd in CAP's Latin for Children in 3rd grade.

SSL is also an exploratory type course, but intended for students younger than those using Minimus. There is some religious content, though you're correct, not as much as in Memoria Press. Minimus is entirely secular (though there are some suggestions for making connections to Religious Education in the Teacher's Manual as per the British National Curriculum, keeping in mind that the British education system has specific national standards.)