Menu

NVLD and Math

Does anyone here have a child with NVLD?? If so, are they struggling with math?? YDS does not test as having an LD but math is so hard for him. He is in 5th grade but we are having to start all over with simply doing addition and subtraction with carrying and today I figured out that he did not know how to write the number out if I said it to him. (larger numbers):confused: I just feel so sad for him! Since he is not able to handle being pushed or rushed I really fear that he will not be ready for 6th grade when his dad wants him back in PS. (He was in PS last year and we had so many issues with him and no firm DX that we pulled him this year to get him where he needs to be.)

On the good side, he is loving R&S LA! :) Now to get him started on MC 4+!! :) So some progress:001_smile:

No really good advice from me, but I can commiserate w/ you. :grouphug: My dd is 12 and very similar. We just keep at it. Repetition...repetition...repetition...It does sink it, but I have to keep reviewing or she'll lose what she's learned. Dd's math is only at a 4th grade level, and she had an extremely hard time w/ addition/subtraction. We used Times Tales for mult. w/ good results. We are just now doing division in earnest.

We're really pushing the math this year, at least 1 hour qd. I hope you get some good advice. I'll be :bigear: too!

My ds10 has "possible" NVLD and is the same with math. He is still doing second grade level math and has barely started multiplication. I have used both Math-U-See and Saxon 1 and 2. He actually gets help from a speech therapist who works with him on visualizing numbers, recognizing quantities of groups of objects, math language, problem solving, etc. I have briefly looked at "On Cloud Nine" by Lindamood-Bell which is not a complete curriculum but looks like it could help with the strategies involved with math. I am not really sure how to approach math with him as there doesn't seem to be anything out there geared for NVLD kids and I have searched online extensively.

I would love to hear what others are doing!

Currently, we are using R&S Math 4 with him and he is doing okay with it. I purchased it on purpose for how slow it introduces the material and how much it repeats. Hopefully that will help out with the material sticking. I have also been using some of the Saxon mental math tricks with him such as the "doubles plus one" and imaging the numbers in 10's. Example: 19+9 think 20+9 then subtract 1. He seems to like those but there are not as many in RS as there is in Saxon. Now that would be perfect!! :) Maybe I could rotate the 2...do Saxon 5/4 one day and R&S the next! :lol: Thinking that he might just lose it if I did that!:001_smile:

Boy, do I hear you. My dd 10 is diagnosed NLD, and math is such a struggle.

I think Rod and Staff is good choice. It is very clearly laid out. My child struggles with writing, too, so I've so far chosen to use something in a workbook format. We started with Developmental Math last year and she's currently only finishing book 4, which is I think a second grade level but she's made quite a bit of progress from where she was. As for times tables, I have a skip counting cd and this works for her. For addition/subtraction, a base ten approach helps her visualize things.

There's an excellent book called Teach Your Child Math by Arthur Benjamin that is WONDERFUL!!! If you can pick this up used, it would be well worth it. It's really helped my child, but we should work with it more.

I have also heard others on here suggest ACE PACES. You can do a free online placement test. I have heard that kids with special needs fare well with the paces. I think my daughter would like them, but I don't know if I should try them or not. If we hit a roadblock with DM, I might give ACE a try.

Best wishes! I know it sure isn't easy.