Menu

Homemade split pea soup question

I just made split pea soup the other night. Yum! I use six cups for a 16oz bag of peas.

Olive oil for sauteeing veggies

1 onion, chopped

2 large carrots, peeled and chopped

2 med. potatoes, cut into 1" pieces

2 cloves or garlic, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 can diced tomatoes

16 oz split peas (I sometimes favor yellow, sometimes green)

6 cups of water

3 large bullion cubes, chicken, ham or vegetable

1 bay leaf

1/2 pound of ham diced into 1/2 inch pieces

1. Sautee the onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic, and sweet red peppers on high/med-high heat until the onions are translucent, and just beginning to get golden.

2. Add the canned tomatoes, water, bullion and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 35 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Add the ham and simmer another 10 minutes. (If the ham simmers too long, it ends up tasting like cardboard.)

Serve with home made bread, or over white rice.

Edited by tdeveson

2.975, 2.976, whatever it takes. (Name that movie reference. =) )

Mr. Mom! "North to pick up, South to drop off, MORON!"

My soup ratio is only 2.666666666 ad infinitum. So that's why it takes so long to measure my ingredients. I'm a failure as a cook.:)

Jennifer

Clearly some of you are better at dispensing wisecracks than wisdom. Lol! :tongue_smilie:

Ok...so...6 cups of water to a 16 oz bag of peas...

New problem. I have a 25 lb sack of peas and no kitchen scale. How many cups of peas are in a 16 oz bag? Maybe 2 cups? That would give me a ratio of 1 cup of peas to 3 cups of water, which is something I could work with.

I guessed a little while ago and dumped a cup of peas in the crock pot with 4 cups of water, a couple of carrots, half an onion and some leftover ham. I'm just wondering if I'm going to wind up with watery soup or thick green paste...

The recipe I've always used calls for 1 cup peas to 4 cups water. I always use all chicken broth instead of water.

Thank you. I feel so much better now. :)

The peas are starting to plump up nicely, and I think there may be some good soup in the pot when I get back from autism support group tonight. It definitely smells good!

I use the ratio of one cup water to zero cups peas.

I never ever ever eat split pea soup if I can at all help it. A few years ago my friend challenged me to overcome my split pea aversion, inviting me over for her famously loved pot of split pea, an instance in which I couldn't avoid the soup.

Didn't work; didn't learn to love it or even tolerate it.

But I hope you have a lovely dinner!