Menu

What have you used after FLL 4?

LearningGrace

Hello, Everyone ~ We are new to TWTM. I was introduced to this great methodology very late this summer and I've been working to gather what we need and begin implementing. Here's a little background which will hopefully be helpful in garnering your opionions. :) We've been hs-ing for 6 years with the ds (age 10) and are beginning year 7. We did SL for all those years, the last year going slowly through Core 5. However, I knew ds was behind in LA as I am not confident in this area and just neglected to complete the exercises. We did a few here and there, but nothing consistent. After reading TWTM and Ruth Beechick's, A Strong Start in Language, I've discovered that I really didn't like the natural language approach which added to my dilema. So, knowing we/he was behind in that area, and also with a view towards beginning dd in 1st next year, I purchased FLL 1-2, as well as books 3 and 4. We have just completed book 3. I had ds give oral responses and moved on when he understood a concept. We covered about 6 lessons a day. I can hardly believe it! We have both learned so much! Overall he has kept a super attitude about all of the LA emphasis and seems to understand that we needed to back track in order for him to have a firm grasp of grammar. Next week we begin FLL 4 and we will naturally slow down. But that still leaves him 'behind' grade level in this subject.

So here is my question: What have you chosen to use after FLL 4? And yes, I am trying to follow the suggested materials rather closely as I don't do well trying to re-invent the wheel. If something needs to be 'tweaked' for my children, then I can/will try to do that. (Perhaps I should post a poll??)

Thank you in advance for your help! I'm :bigear:!

I will be placing my dd9 (she'll be 10 when we finish FLL 4 and just finishing grade 4) directly into Abeka grade 6 (God' Gift of Language C). She should have absolutely NO problem with it! FLL is VERY well written and she is already starting to get bored with all the review. In fact she could prob. start Abeka C tomorrow and not bat an eye! I don't think my DD is ultra smart, but I do think that FLL has more than prepared her to be successful in grammar. I will not have her do the writing assignments in Abeka, just the grammar/language parts. I think a lower level would be way to simple and too much repetition. We will continue to work through our spelling curriculum (all about spelling) and writing with ease. These are her weakest areas, so they need the work, but the foundation is definitely laid for her to be successful thanks to FLL!

I'm planning on going with Rod and Staff 5. I will be careful to skip things she knows, like not doing every single question in a lesson as they have lots for keeping kids busy. I'm assuming that it should work for us. Then we'll just follow the program until it's finished or we get to the end of high school.:001_smile:

HTH