Menu

Voyages in English vs Hake Grammar

LadyAberlin

Okay this is thinking way ahead. WE are using FLL right now and are enjoying it. So the plan is to stick with that through FLL4. I was just pondering what we will do after that. Which one of these programs do you think is more rigorous? My ds seems to like color so if that is still the case in 5th that may make me choose VIE over Hake. I'm kinds of drawn to hake though. Anyone know what the similaries and differences between the two are?

Thanks!

I saw your post last night, and I wish someone with experience with both would help you! I do not have experience with Hake, but we have used VIE since we finished up FLL (I don't think FLL4 was out yet then). I really can't say enough about how thorough and well put together I feel VIE is. We did deviate one year, and I'm really sorry that we did; the program we had chosen was no where near as rigorous or thorough as VIE. The only drawback I have found is the price. VIE is excellent for teaching diagramming which has been indespensible for us when learning new parts of speech.

Its early here, and I haven't had enough coffee to sound smart yet, so if you have any other VIE questions, please feel free to ask!

ETA that another thing I really like about VIE is that is fun and engaging, and it gives you so many opportunities to drive the knowledge home for the student.

Edited by LauraGB

Thanks! I was homeschooled and my mom used VIE with me one yr and I have this warm fuzzy feeling when I see it. I don't know why I liked it. My mom switches curriculum a lot so we didn't stick with it. She loaned the book out to someone and they never gave it back. It looks so nice and colorful. My hesitancy though it that no one ever talks about it and those TM's are so very expensive. My son is very very visual and color makes a big difference in attitude when we do school so I'd really like to use it. Do you use the writing portion of it too? Do you like that part? What did you switch to that you didn't like?

In 3rd grade, we did use the writing portion. In 4th and 5th we opted for Writing Strands, and honestly, both my dc LOVED the writing in VIE and disliked a great deal the WS, so, in hindsight, I should have used VIE's (considering I had already paid for it and it was readily available!).

This year, we are using IEW. However, I do flip to the writing portion of VIE to do *extra* work when covering a new part of speech because the grammar lessons in VIE coincide with the writing portion, and there really is a lot of great info there.

You can buy the books used - one year I found the TM for $40 on half.com. Ebay is another place to watch. I just bought next year's TM and 1 text from ebay because it was there - it was more than 50% less than buying direct from Loyola. However, you would probably need to buy the workbooks from them unless you can find a deal through homeschoolbuyersco-op.com. The VIE workbooks have exercises for both portions of VIE and the EIE workbooks only have grammar exercises.

Okay this is thinking way ahead. WE are using FLL right now and are enjoying it. So the plan is to stick with that through FLL4. I was just pondering what we will do after that. Which one of these programs do you think is more rigorous? My ds seems to like color so if that is still the case in 5th that may make me choose VIE over Hake. I'm kinds of drawn to hake though. Anyone know what the similaries and differences between the two are?

Thanks!

I've got one using Hake 5. I think it's a very good, solid program.

However, it's not colorful at all. It's set up exactly like Saxon Math (5/4 & up), so if you don't like Saxon math you're most likely not going to like Hake grammar. My older 2 had the choice between Rod & Staff 4 & Hake 5 this year (I had both on hand) and ds10 chose R&S and ds9 chose Hake. He chose Hake because "it's set up just like his math" and he "really understands his math."

I've never seen VIE.