Menu

DD5 with the eye patching issue - headache/nausea...

We've done the eye patching for amblyopia (used to be incorrectly called "lazy eye") for two days now, starting at about 1 hour a day (supposed to do it 2 hours) but after one hour, she complains of a terrible headache (I can imagine).

Well tonight, she complained of the headache, then got really nauseated and ended up throwing up quite a bit. Related or coincidental???

I'm prone to migraines presenting with nausea, as is my Mom. Can migraines be brought on by eye strain? That's not a trigger for me...and isn't 5 1/2 awfully young to show migraine symptoms???

Help! She's MISERABLE!

My dd wears a patch for about 3-4 hours every day. She has never complained of headaches, etc but I wouldn't rule it out as all children are different. I just wanted to offer :grouphug: and support since I remember how hard those first few weeks were for us. I don't know what type of patch you are using. Our doctor recommended the adhesive style and it was really awful for us. My dd did not like having her eyelid literally taped down and the stickiness was painful when we pulled it off. I cried so many times in private to see my dd (who was 4) dealing with this so bravely. Anyway we found a patch we loved right away so much better. My dd went outside and twirled around and laughed. She would hide her face with a cloth with the other patch.

Here is the site we found it at:

http://www.framehuggers.com

My son has been through lots of eye stuff and what you are describing is not normal. It is normal to not like to patch, but it does make a major difference long term. I think you should call her pediatric ophthalmologist and ask to talk to the nurse/tech. They should be able to give you some advice. I don't think it is normal and they may need to rethink her patch schedule to build up to a longer time.

Once they get that worked out, I'd start working up to the two hours by adding 15 min. a day. Let her do something fun to start with while she is patched, even if it is watch a movie. Make it a condition that if she takes off the patch, the movie stops or whatever fun thing you are doing.

My dd wears a patch for about 3-4 hours every day. She has never complained of headaches, etc but I wouldn't rule it out as all children are different. I just wanted to offer :grouphug: and support since I remember how hard those first few weeks were for us. I don't know what type of patch you are using. Our doctor recommended the adhesive style and it was really awful for us. My dd did not like having her eyelid literally taped down and the stickiness was painful when we pulled it off. I cried so many times in private to see my dd (who was 4) dealing with this so bravely. Anyway we found a patch we loved right away so much better. My dd went outside and twirled around and laughed. She would hide her face with a cloth with the other patch.

Here is the site we found it at:

www.framehuggers.com

Thanks so much! I just ordered a fabric patch very similar in style online on eBay -- I think it's a Mom who makes them out of her home. It's been a tough two days, and I'm so sad thinking of what COULD'VE been had we not discovered this. It was like pulling teeth to even get a referral for an eye appointment with an MD out of our insurance company.

i had a doctor tell me to patch when i was between 8-10. i had headaches and a terrible time with it...and found out when i was grown that there was no reason at all for me to patch. i didn't have a 'lazy eye', i had severe astigmatism.

they've made lots of progress since then, so hopefully it isn't a misdiagnosis. but i'd still want a second opinion if it were one of my kids!