Menu

a curriculum somewhat similar to Learning Adventures

motherdear

I

This year, I chose to use the program, Americawith my nine year old son. It has proved to be (in my opinion) among the most wonderful unit study programs out there. The program utilizes Peter Marshall and David Manuel’s The Light and the Glory trilogy. It's kind of funny that I always contemplated developing my own unit study using these books (there are so good!), only to find America quite by accident!. This unit study/book combination is a hidden treasure.

Author Chris Rowe has supplemented the program with other "living" history books. Since the program is broken up into two levels (grades 3-4 and grades 5-6), some of the additional books are different for the different levels. In the lower level we are using books such as: The Mayflower Secret, Pedro's Journal, The Courage of Sarah Noble, and The Matchlock Gun, The Cabin Faced West, among others. The daily guide is very user-friendly and there is VERY little preparation work for the parent. For the most part, you can pick up the book and go. All of the hands-on activities are very doable with things found around the house. We have been "notebooking" much of the written and art activities and are developing quite an impressive notebook. The Bible study/applications are very practical and thought provoking. Science is integrated in a biweekly form and even English is included in it! We are truly enjoying it! For those of you interested in checking out the scope and sequence and looking into this program, the link is: http://christiannovelstudies.com/America/america.html

BTW-there is a Year #2 which follows this study (up to present-day America, I believe), however you'll have to check the web site for details.