Menu

math help for 7 yr dd

My 7 yr dd (2nd grade) is not doing well in memorizing math facts. She knows the answers and does excellent on tests but does not know them quickly. I have finally realized that she doesn't seem to do well with any rote memorization. This week I have drilled her on doubles and was finally able to make out what she is saying under her breath. If I ask 9 +9 she says to self, "5 + 4 is 9 and 9 + 4 is 13 and 13 + 5 is 18 - if I ask 7 + 7 she says 3 + 4 is 7 and 7 + 3 is 10 and 10 + 4 is 13 and so on. She seems to take the long way around but always get the right answers. I get that she is grouping but it is always different. She even does this with very easy questions - she seems to have her own way of doing things and I don't know how to make the most of it.

Do any of you have dc's who just don't do well with memorization? What do you do? This is the way I've been taught and is the way I thought I would teach both dd's but it's just not going to work with my youngest. Should I just quit being worried or does she need to know her math facts quicker?

I have found that my two children learned math facts very differently. I see your 7 yo both very creatively figuring out AND understanding how math works. She's seeing a clear relationship between the numbers, and I would take that as one step better than "just" rote memorization. She "sees" her numbers in a different way than you do.

My ds has always done this. It still sometimes throws me, because I can't always instantly figure out what he's thinking. I usually find that he's one step ahead of me though. :)

Yes, she'll find it easier down the road if she "knows" her math facts quickly. But she is only 7, and I honestly would take her way of doing math as a positive. She sounds like she's doing great, and that you are too.

Yes, she'll find it easier down the road if she "knows" her math facts quickly. But she is only 7, and I honestly would take her way of doing math as a positive. She sounds like she's doing great, and that you are too.

:iagree:Also, you could try finding out her learning style and cater to it. Maybe she needs to hear the facts. (auditory) Maybe she needs to see them complete with answers on flash cards. (visual) Maybe she needs to jump to them. (wiggly) Maybe she needs to play games. (sociable sue) Just examples of course, their may be better ways for the different learning types.

My 8 yo sounds like your dd-he is not at all good at memorizing things and still does the facts pretty slowly. We use Rightstart for math and drill is mostly with games, but children are encouraged to use an abacus until the know the facts by memory, and are also discouraged from rote memorization and counting. Visualizing quantities, using the abacus, is encouraged. I think RS has worked very well for my son. It also teaches children strategies much like what your daughter does to figure out answers, which I find to be helpful. He can always think to figure out an answer, rather than get frustrated if he simply doesn't remember it. So, long story short, I think what your dd does is great and I'd just keep practicing to build up speed and automaticity.

When we move on to mult / div next year is it going to cause a problem if she hasn't memorized her facts? This is a concern for me. My older dd knew her facts inside out and breezed through the Abeka 3 math. I'm worried my younger dd might have trouble. Do any of you have dc's that didn't do well with memorization but still did well with mult and div? I guess it just seems everything I've read said they need to memorize, memorize, memorize these facts. Thanks for the replies - its probably more of something that I need to work on (my ideas of what is right/wrong) and not so much dd's problem.

My Dd 8 is in 3rd grade, but we are still doing 2nd grade math because it is taking her longer to "get" it.

Some kids are just not math minded and take a little longer and I think it just comes with maturity and being constently exposed to the math facts.

Mine is still using her fingers and were trying to get away from that.

After speaking to a rep. over at BJU, she suggested me getting a few math things to help my Dd.

We got The quarter mile math, Level 1 K-3. It's $39 and goes on the computer. Your child is in either a horse or car race. There is a ton of options to pick from, like Add, Sub., Mult. or Division.

You pick by family's.

So, were working on the adding and subtracting 2's until she can quickly do them without fingers. Then we'll move on to the 3's.

WOW, did she pick it up fast and we've only had it 2 days! Highly recommend it.

I also got wrap ups for add and sub.. She likes those too.

I ordered calculadder 1 (speed drills) to go along with her BJU math.

Still waiting on that, should come tomarrow.

Just keep doing the math facts, it will stick eventually.

When your teaching doubles or like 4+5+=, have her think of the double 4+4 and then add one. My daughter could not grasp that at 7 but now at 8, she figured it out.

Oh, about multiplication....my daughter can do those really well cuz BJU taught her to learn by grouping and it just stuck. BUt, you have to be able to skip count really good. Mine finally figured that out this year as well.

HTH, Kristin

Edited by lovinmykids

DD is 9 and she is still finger counting. Drives me up the wall. This is a battle I have decided to give up on. Whenever I push her to try without her fingers, she makes all sorts of mistakes and gets down on herself. I would rather her be confident in her math skills even if it means she is using her fingers. Surprisingly enough, she is memorizing her multiplication table with a lot more ease (I really think the other is a mental block from bad school experience in the past). The only thing I have forced her to learn are her doubles. That took a lot of drill and kill, but she has them down and that helps with multiplication a lot.

When we move on to mult / div next year is it going to cause a problem if she hasn't memorized her facts? This is a concern for me. My older dd knew her facts inside out and breezed through the Abeka 3 math. I'm worried my younger dd might have trouble. Do any of you have dc's that didn't do well with memorization but still did well with mult and div? I guess it just seems everything I've read said they need to memorize, memorize, memorize these facts. Thanks for the replies - its probably more of something that I need to work on (my ideas of what is right/wrong) and not so much dd's problem.
I wouldn't go on to Abeka 3. JMO. I would slow it down with Rod and Staff or Math Mammoth before going on to Abeka 3. After mastering Abeka 3 many kids can move on to a 5 in other programs.

I wouldn't go on to Abeka 3. JMO. I would slow it down with Rod and Staff or Math Mammoth before going on to Abeka 3. After mastering Abeka 3 many kids can move on to a 5 in other programs.

I'm glad I asked. See, I just didn't know that Abeka 3 might be advanced - my 9 yr dd blew through Abeka 3 last year so I just assumed it was at a normal pace. I guess I'll look into this and see how things go with younger dd. Thanks!