Menu

what is it about tweens/teens and golf carts?

Many of the families in our neighborhoods have golf carts. There is not a golf course within 30 miles by the way. We don't have a neighborhood community center, pool, or something like that either that might make one useful. The tweens and teens spend most of Saturday and Sunday chasing each other with these things while screaming at the top of their lungs. Most of these kids are under driving age. At our old county, a license was required to operate one as it was considered a moving vehicle. I guess that is not the case here.

Anyway, they do not pay any attention to cars and weave in and out of streets (or yards) without looking in any direction - except behind them to see what their friend's are doing. They do this all day and most of the night - in the dark, with no headlights. There are girls with very little clothing on - mainly a bikini with a "cover up" (we live in the deep south, it was 85 today) hanging all over boys who are hanging all over them to keep them in the cart as the driver does his/her best to throw them out.

Guess I'm getting old. But, I find it annoying.

We don't have golf carts in my neighborhood, but we have steep hills so we have kids riding skateboards down the middle of the street through intersections. Its nice - not. We also have lots of kids on those mini-motorcycles that aren't street legal - riding on the streets. Winter is best thought, then we once we get a good snow cover on the roads we have kids on snowboards and sleds down the road (mine included). Mostly we have kids on mountain bikes or dirt bikes - its fine but I get freaked out when when they ride on the road and run the 4-way stop sign.

but with adults! No golf courses here either. They cruise down my street on a regular basis.

I always wonder what is so entertaining about riding down the street in a golf cart, and feel like they're snooping around for the homeowners association or something. I'm probably wrong, but it just seems strange to me. As a homeschooler, when we're playing outside on schooldays, I get a little paranoid about them cruising down the street at 3 MPH checking out the neighborhood!

I guess I should be thankful they aren't reckless teens!

We don't have them in our neighborhood, but there is a small lake nearby and many of the families drive around the lake in golf carts. Several days before school started in August, one of my dd's 9th grade classmates was killed in a golf cart accident at the lake. Last week, a coworker of a close friend of mine was in a golf cart wreck (they were drunk) and ended up with a serious head injury requiring surgery.

I hate the things.

Edited by Perry