Menu

working on a 3rd language using the 2nd

Joan in GE

This is for those whose 2nd language (or whose children's second language - like my case) is fluent enough but can always use practice....

For the local French children to learn German, there are workbooks, which are written of course in French.

Since my daughter is learning German, but knows enough French, she is actually working on the two languages at once with these workbooks.

Using a dictionary in the 2nd language for words in the 3rd is another way. Then there are the computer programs in the 2nd, for learning the 3rd language or working on math, geography, history, etc.

I realize that this is not always feasible for various languages, but just thought I would put it out there for those who can benefit.

I found out the hard way that one can only go so far in their 2nd language to learn a third. Or maybe it depends on the language.

English is my 2nd, I'm pretty fluent. I speak (or spoke at one time) French and Spanish. I attempted Latin through an English book. It was Wheelock's book, with the online study group.

The first half of the book was fine, but as soon as we hit more complex verb usage, like subjunctive, some conditionals, I could no longer follow with an English book.

My kids though have worked in Latin using English resources, but they never reached 'advanced' Latin. They stayed at a beginner level, and that was fine. They did work on their two languages at once, and that worked great.

• 2 months later...