Menu

Does anyone use The Lost Tools of Writing?

How easy is it to implement? Is it something that could be used for jr high as well as high school level students??

I'm really struggling with Classical Writing trying to cover two levels at the same time and both my boys are looking at me with that "where is this all taking us?" stare. To be honest, I think that CW is just too fragmented for me to teach. I need to see the big picture and every time I sit down with it I'm staring at pieces. . . I need whole!!!!

Help!?

How easy is it to implement? Is it something that could be used for jr high as well as high school level students??

I'm really struggling with Classical Writing trying to cover two levels at the same time and both my boys are looking at me with that "where is this all taking us?" stare. To be honest, I think that CW is just too fragmented for me to teach. I need to see the big picture and every time I sit down with it I'm staring at pieces. . . I need whole!!!!

Help!?

I use it; I switched from Classical Writing this year. LTW is designed for 7th -9th graders. I love it. It's systematic and logical and comprehensive. I can't say enough good things about it.

I find it easy to teach--although I am a writing teacher by profession. Still, there is a yahoo group run by the writer of the program and lots of support.

Any specific questions?

I really liked Lost Tools of Writing, too. My only caveat is that you need to have students who are willing to engage, get involved in the course. My son just wanted to sit back and have me tell him what to write. He just would not engage in the invention process no matter how much I tried to drag ... I mean invite him in. It was very frustrating to me!

Thank you ladies!

I do have a couple questions. . .

1. Approximately how much time each day would I be involved in the teaching of this?

2. For my 15yo, I'm looking for something that will give him the necessary tools to write college level papers. Will this be enough?

TIA,