Menu

Any reviews for "Themes to Remember"?

Amie

LOVE it! We have all three levels, I put them in my media player on the computer, find all the ones by a particular composer to put in the playlist, read (or have dd read) the bio/info about the author, then play the music at meal times or rest times. They are learning SO SO much! DD likes to read the books about the individual pieces on her own time. I'm not worried about it so much right now...I want them to get the songs in their heads first and connect it to the right composer. The lyrics also tell much about the origin or the song, composer, etc. I think this is by far the easiest start in music study ever, and so fun!

This is our second year doing it. I am following the schedule that is on the Themes to Remember site. We read the bio on Monday and then listed to the music. Then we listen to it a couple of times each day until dd knows the song and can recognize the artist and title by the song "without the words". I periodically quiz her on artists that she has previously learned to make sure that she doesnt forget it. She has seen that a lot of the songs are on TV, in commercials, even played in stores that we are in. I highly recommend the program.

We love it. Our way of dealing with "getting around to it" is just to listen to the CDs in the car. Just listening as we do our driving around town (and singing along with the lyrics and practicing saying the title and composer before the announcement) has really been beneficial, even without much more. The kids keep the book in the back seat with them, and sometimes read along with the lyrics.

We do occasionally pull the book out and read the composer bios or talk about the musical notation information. But mostly we just listen and sing along.

And then in the course of our lives, one of us will say, "Oh, I know this!" and name whatever it is we've heard in a commercial or the music in the background at the dentist, etc, etc. :)