Menu

Biology: what to do without teacher text?

Help. I have a brand new McDougal Littell Biology on CD ROM, featuring links to all sorts of helpful animations, virtual labs, and quizzes...but I have no teacher text/ key. I was told my the publisher that they cannot sell me one. The material isn't so tough that I couldn't read it and then know whether or not my son (gr 10) was absorbing enough info; it's the time factor involved in reading it all. So far, I'm just having him read the lesson, make vocab cards, look at the animations, do any virtual labs, and do the online section and unit quizzes (answers given online), not answer the (numerous) chapter review questions for which I have no key. This son is not inclined towards science, so even getting him to do this is a stretch. I keep thinking that I should be having him do more somehow--though two years ago, I had another son use Holt Biology, for which I did have a TM, and while he did many review questions, and some microscope labs, I can't say that he enjoyed or retained it much. (That's part of the reason I thought I'd try a different text this year ; the Holt Biology seemed a bit out of date, too. And I imagine many use the Apologia books, but I have never cared for them. ).

So what do the rest of you do when you do not have a teacher text with answer key for science questions--and no access to a science whiz? How can I ensure that my son is at least "on track" with the material--or should I just gratefully leave him to the online quizzes and hope he makes a career in the liberal arts? (My 17 yr old informed me that all four of the boys might just well end up in theatre arts, like son #1... :tongue_smilie: )

Campbell's Exploring Life and after I talked to Pearson-Hall they gave me access to online quizzes that provide the answers. I bought directly from them because I wanted this but at first they wouldn't do it ... I hate talking on the phone but I did it for about 30 minutes and got it! I agree that you can figure out the answers but ouch - I'm not taking the course and I don't wanna (insert tantrum). Did you try calling the publisher? Maybe they'll help you out if you say that you belong to a large homeschooling network and want to use/recommend their product but can't until you get equal access (ok a bit dramatic - but homeschooling can be big business!).

I purchased a teacher's manual and solution key for Algebra I last year from McDougal Littell. You have to sign a form stating that you're a homeschool mom. I had to state which school district we live in and which school my daughter would attend if she went to school. After I faxed the form up to them, they were perfectly willing to sell me the teacher's materials.

Because I'm in Canada, I had to buy from the Canadian division, and they will not sell TM s except to school boards. But in any case, after posting I went online and searched for used ML Biology TMs and actually found the correct one. There were only a few and it was fairly expensive with shipping, but I will feel better with some "real" answers in hand :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Campbell's Exploring Life and after I talked to Pearson-Hall they gave me access to online quizzes that provide the answers. I bought directly from them because I wanted this but at first they wouldn't do it ... I hate talking on the phone but I did it for about 30 minutes and got it! I agree that you can figure out the answers but ouch - I'm not taking the course and I don't wanna (insert tantrum). Did you try calling the publisher? Maybe they'll help you out if you say that you belong to a large homeschooling network and want to use/recommend their product but can't until you get equal access (ok a bit dramatic - but homeschooling can be big business!).

Are the online quizzes much diffrerent than the questions at the end of each chapters?

How do you like the Exploring Life? What grade do you use it?

BTW, sometimes you can find TE of the textbook on Amazon and Ebay.

Canadian publishers are much stricter about allowing the purchase of teacher's manuals. I once had one convinced to sell me the TM based on a "your excused for homeschooling" letter from the local school board--and then found that the price quoted me was 3 times what it would cost me in the States. Buying used is one of the best solutions, when you can pull it off.