Menu

Latin and Greek in American Education

Latin and Greek in American Education

Very interesting perspectives and quotes about why to teach Latin and Greek.

A good quote:

Professor Ramsay reports a conversation with the distinguished chemist Bauer in the laboratories of the Hohe Technische Schule in Vienna:

I questioned him as to the relative capacities of students coming to his classes from the classical Gymnasien and the Real-Schulen respectively. I presumed that his best chemical students came to him from the Real-Schulen. "Not at all," he replied; "all my best students come from the Gymnasien. The students from the Real-Schulen do best at first; but after three months' work here, they are, as a rule, left behind by those coming from the Gymnasien." "How do you account for that ?" I asked; "I understand that students in the Real-Schulen are specially instructed in chemistry." "Yes," he replied; "but the students from the Gymnasien have the best trained minds. Give me a student who has been taught his Latin grammar, and I will answer for his chemistry."

Professor Sadler, who holds a chair of marine engineering, speaking of the best preparation for the student who purposes to enter upon the study of engineering, says:

An analytic, in preference to a philosophic mind, is the type that should be cultivated. In order to be successful, the student should have formed the habit of co-ordination and exactness in his earlier years of study. While it may be the opinion of many that the introduction of some elementary form of science may accomplish this result, I venture to suggest that, as a general rule, studies of this nature will have an effect diametrically opposite, and lead toward vagueness rather than concreteness. As a means of inculcating ideas of exactness the study of Greek and Latin is facile princeps.

Also, note: "best trained minds, well trained mind!"

Here's a short thread on why Latin, too:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73521&highlight=reasons+teach+latin

Edited by ElizabethB

My dds are both in Gymnasium and do Latin and Greek. They also have French, German, Dutch, Spanish and English (in addition to other classes). This year I've heard them comment frequently on how their Latin (2d year) has really helped with Spanish and French. From what I've seen, it does take a lot of effort and focus to keep up with all these languages in addition to the other classes. I'm seeing some very good things about how they are learning to learn (and definitely some areas that are missed).

S

My dds are both in Gymnasium and do Latin and Greek. They also have French, German, Dutch, Spanish and English (in addition to other classes). This year I've heard them comment frequently on how their Latin (2d year) has really helped with Spanish and French. From what I've seen, it does take a lot of effort and focus to keep up with all these languages in addition to the other classes. I'm seeing some very good things about how they are learning to learn (and definitely some areas that are missed).

S

That's a lot of languages! We just moved and here in Los Angeles, there are some free and cheap Hebrew opportunities, I got a brochure and my daughter said, "Please, Mom, 2 languages is enough, I didn't even want to do a 2nd one." I'll have to tell her she has it easy.

My Spanish is making it easier for me to figure out Latin, but reading up about it and starting to study it is still making my head hurt.

I like this quote the best:

"Yes," he replied; "but the students from the Gymnasien have the best trained minds. Give me a student who has been taught his Latin grammar, and I will answer for his chemistry."

That sounds almost exactly like a statement (I'm paraphrasing here) from the book Climbing Parnassus by Tracy Lee Simmons. It goes something like this: "Show me a man who has studied Latin, and I will show you a man who can build bridges."

Thanks for sharing this.