Menu

What to use for writing? When to start?

Quiver0f10

My 10 yo has issues with his his memory in addition to dyslexia and seizures. He is slowly making progress with reading but I would guess that he is at a second grade reading level. As far as comprehension, if he is doing the reading his comprehension is nil. If I am reading to him and ask him to narrate back often during a section, he can do OK. He is using Winston Basic grammar this year and it's pretty slow going and I am not sure if he is really grasping the grammar. We are taking it slow with lots of review.

I am worried though because we haven't done any writing yet. I don't know if I should try now or wait until he is reading better and has a firmer grasp on grammar? I know I shouldn't worry about age or grade level but he is 10 and I am worried he is never going to catch up.

I started writing with my son last year despite several issues. Once he was able to make all the letters of the alphabet independently and knew that sentences were complete thoughts (he could identify them orally as such), knew that they began with capitals and ended with punctuation of some sort, I had him start writing short paragraphs daily. I first had him draw a picture of something and then write 5 or so sentences about the picture because the picture helped him form thoughts. Or, I would have him draw a picture but about some activity we did recently (a field trip or the like) and then write his story. I didn't check spelling or give a grade. We did work on the topic sentence being the frist sentence and that was what the entire paragragh was about, but that was essentially it. I did this just so he would have a fear of writing anything. He just kept saying before we did this how he "couldn't" write.

I started writing with my son last year despite several issues. Once he was able to make all the letters of the alphabet independently and knew that sentences were complete thoughts (he could identify them orally as such), knew that they began with capitals and ended with punctuation of some sort, I had him start writing short paragraphs daily. I first had him draw a picture of something and then write 5 or so sentences about the picture because the picture helped him form thoughts. Or, I would have him draw a picture but about some activity we did recently (a field trip or the like) and then write his story. I didn't check spelling or give a grade. We did work on the topic sentence being the frist sentence and that was what the entire paragragh was about, but that was essentially it. I did this just so he would have a fear of writing anything. He just kept saying before we did this how he "couldn't" write.

Thank you!