Menu

Knitting help again...

I've worked the following pattern to the part about working back and forth. Keeping the work on the three dpns, I turned it inside out and am prepared to just go back and forth, as instructed. I'm stymied, however, and the "slip 1" part. Do I pass that stitch from the left needle to the right needle without working it? I'm kinda confused.

Directions

Cast on 30 stitches and distribute evenly around three needles (10 stitches on each needle).

Work Twisted Rib for 3â€, or about 15 rounds.

Knit 3 rounds in Stockinette stitch.

(You will now begin working back and forth in order to create the hole for the thumb)

Turn work, sl 1, Purl to end of row.

Turn work, sl 1, Knit to end of row.

Continue to work back and forth in Stockinette stitch, slipping the first stitch in each row, until the

thumb hole is 2â€, or about 12 rows (you will end on a knit row).

Join to begin working in the round again and work 5 rows in Stockinette stitch.

Yes. It will make a large looking stitch on the edge of the work - one stitch spanning two rows - because you're working it every other row. It makes it easier to pick up the stitches and return to working in the round when you're making a sock heel, for instance.

Are you making the world's smallest heel flap? ETA: Oh, duh. You're making a thumb hole. Ok, that's strange to me - I usually just bind off however many, then cast them back on in the next row - but yes, the point there is to give you something to pick up for the thumb.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Are you making the world's smallest heel flap? ETA: Oh, duh. You're making a thumb hole. Ok, that's strange to me - I usually just bind off however many, then cast them back on in the next row - but yes, the point there is to give you something to pick up for the thumb.

Yep. My first ever thumb hole. Thanks muchly for the help!