Menu

Asperger's, Puberty and Anger... Oh My!

happygrrl

Those words are really feeling like Lions Tigers and Bears to me right now!

Ds is 12 1/2. I am guessing that his anger outbursts are related to the onset of puberty. They come with little provocation, and if he is distracted they are of fairly short duration. It is hard to imagine him being ready for puberty; emotionally he is so young.

Just checking with the hive... can I just chalk this up to hormones or should I be concerned about something more?

(I know there is probably no answering this... I am just worn out and need a few shoulders to cry on.)

Well, we can cry on each other's shoulders because my 12yo Aspie daughter is going through the same stuff. When she's happy, she's REALLY happy, but she's usually just angry about everything. Everything is so unfair and everyone around her is annoying. Geesh!

Same here too. You've got another shoulder to cry on. My Aspie/OCD/ADHD dd is 12 and a half in raging puberty. She's gets angry all the time too. She's also very sensitive and always sees the worst in everything. She thinks that everyone is out to get her and I have to keep telling her, "you're not a victim here, stop trying to find a way to be one." :rolleyes: I am so with you. I am not ready for this either. She is very emotionally immature as well. sigh. I dread the days ahead when my severely Autistic son hits puberty. :(

This is totally normal and has nothing to do with Aspergers. I have four children, three of whom have gone through puberty, one of them with Aspergers. Anger...especially in a son, is totally normal. It has to do a bit with hormones, but mostly has to do with wanting to be more independent, and not so controlled...especially by mom. (At least that was my experience...)

This was the age where I had to learn to let go and find opportunities for my boys to learn to be men. Chopping wood, outdoor survival skills, trimming trees, building, woodworking, carpentry, etc...

I found that it helped to keep them away from sedentary activities like video games, computer and television. It was also extremely helpful to have a dad who actively and regularly encouraged them on all topics leading to adulthood.

This is a great time of life...and a wonderful opportunity to grow up wonderful young people. If you are Christian, it might be helpful to read "Age of Opportunity," by Paul David Tripp.

Blessings,

Y

Yep, my Aspie teenager has been like this, too. Where he used to have crying meltdowns/tantrums, he now gets angry. And he gets angry at his younger sisters, too, especially the one with autism. He says she embarrasses him, which is ironic because she's just like he was (except her language is delayed)!

We're working hard to help him recognize the anger and redirect it. He's nearly as tall as his father and I, so it's vital that we get this under control.

It's really sad for me because he was always my "sweet boy". He just cried a lot. Not it's not so sweet.